Wireless isn't working in OSX but works in boot camp windows

Reaction score
Hello I have a Netgear dual band router (I can get the model number if needed). It is currently unencrypted and recognized by my mac when I try to connect but connection always times out or it just says connection failed. This only happens on my OSX and not boot camp windows 7. I don't think it's a problem with the router because it works with other apple products.

Hope you can help me!

Thanks,

Spencer

EDIT: I have a MBP 15" From 2011 and I'm running Lion

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, you should be using encryption. You don't want someone to hijack your wireless transmission and download something illegal for which you will get blamed. Use WPA2 and a strong password.

Next... Are you broadcasting the SSID (network name) from your router? If not, turn that on as OS X has problems connecting and staying connected if the SSID is turned off. Windows does not have that problem.

Try changing the channel your router is broadcasting on. You could be running into interference from other wireless broadcasts in your area. You may need to dig out your router manual to learn how to access its internal menu and make the changes I suggested.

OP
S
Reaction score
First, you should be using encryption. You don't want someone to hijack your wireless transmission and download something illegal for which you will get blamed. Use WPA2 and a strong password.

Next... Are you broadcasting the SSID (network name) from your router? If not, turn that on as OS X has problems connecting and staying connected if the SSID is turned off. Windows does not have that problem.

Try changing the channel your router is broadcasting on. You could be running into interference from other wireless broadcasts in your area. You may need to dig out your router manual to learn how to access its internal menu and make the changes I suggested.

Thanks, I removed the encryption because it made it easier to troubleshoot, additionally, I live in the middle of nowhere so I'm not too concerned ;). It is broadcasting SSID and I have tried changing the channels but again I live in a remote area.

UPDATE: I factory reset my router and I am still having these issues.

Before it would connect for a small time then state connection timed out and I would get booted and have to reconnect

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So you were using Encryption before the issue and turned it off and still it won't connect? That is a strange one as without encryption it should connect.

Can you give the model on that Netgear? Want to do some searching to see if others with Macs are having issues.

OP
S
Reaction score
So you were using Encryption before the issue and turned it off and still it won't connect? That is a strange one as without encryption it should connect.

Can you give the model on that Netgear? Want to do some searching to see if others with Macs are having issues.

That is correct. I am at work right now and it was doing the same thing, then I deleted some past network info from my keychain access (ie. certificates that looked fishy and some 802.11x info) and it works. I will see if the problem continues at home and then I will report back.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Let us know. That is a fix we usually mention, to open keychain and delete all the entries there and start over.

OP
S
Reaction score
Let us know. That is a fix we usually mention, to open keychain and delete all the entries there and start over.

It seems to be working. Weird, I will do this first thing the next time this happens! This was my first time actually posting on mac-forums, thanks everyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.