About creating a new partition in Lion

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm a newbie with Mac OS X, and I've a question about creating partition.

I want to create a new partition with my MacBook Pro to keep my personal data so that they will be fine and untouched even if I erased Lion system and install a clean one.

I'm wanna know:

- What need I notice during creating a new partition?

- What's the difference between Mac OS Extended Journaled and not?

Is it OK for me to choose the "Mac OS Extended (not Journaled)" format partition to just keep my personal data?

- Once new partition created, is it safe to erase the partition where Lion system is on and install a whole new system?

- Is there any cons to having a new partition on Mac OS?

THX a lot!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're new to the Mac and OS X, the first thing is to forget about the way you did things in Windows and on your PC. You do not need to create a separate partition to keep your personal data. The reason:

What happens if the entire drive fails? Hard drives crash, even new SSDs can be defective. The best protection for your personal data and any data is to make backups.

If you erase Lion how are you going to access the other partition? The only exception is the Lion Recovery partition which will remain intact. My recommendation is do not create a separate partition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.