Going to be upgrading my Macbook Pro (13 in Mid-2009) HELP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (Mid-2009) 2.26 GHZ, 8GB RAM, 500 GB HDD
Hello! I've done one update to my Macbook Pro in the past, with upgrading my memory from 2 GB (1 and 1) to 4 GB (2 and 2). This was a sufficient upgrade but at this point I'm starting to consider upgrading further. Not just my memory either, I need a bigger hard drive. I've found that I've been at 10 GB remaining for the better part of the past year, having to constantly delete files. Along with this (I know, I'm throwing money around >.<) I need to get a case.

I'm probably asking for you guys to do all of my work for me, but I've done some research (looking here and there for the past week) and I cannot determine if what I'm buying is correct.

Here's what I'm "looking for"

My Macbook Pro supports up to 8 GB of RAM. Will all 8 GB be utilized on my computer? I do a lot of video editing, 3D modeling, etc.

I'm not particularly sure what hard drive size I should look into, but I'm looking to not spend an exorbitant amount. I'm thinking upwards of 500 GB. My current HDD has a capacity of 159 GB. Regarding this, am I able to transfer my current hard drive to my new one through a cable? I'd like to keep what I have, without a ton of burnt DVD's/flash drive use.

Finally, I'm looking for a case for my 13 in Macbook Pro (mid 2009). I've seen a few, but they're all reviewed poorly. I did see some on the Apple Store a few years ago, but they're $40.00. I want a clear plastic case, something that'll protect my Macbook, keep it clean, and isn't too bulky.

OP
iPad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I just got paid today, and I'm caught up on bills for the month so I've got up to $300 to put to this. I'm not trying to spend a TON on one piece of hardware but I am looking to get a lot out of my Macbook.

Reaction score
If space is really what you're going for a normal HDD will probably be the best option, cheaper and seems to suit your priorities.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have to agree with member "macmacattack". You can buy a nice 500 GB or even a 750 GB spindle hard drive for your machine for half the price that you would pay for a smallish SSD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
I have a 13-inch 2009 MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM. I recently installed a 240GB Sandisk SSD and the difference is incredible. Everything happens faster except saving large (>100MB) PhotoShop files. If you want 80% of the SSD performance at a lower price check out the Seagate XT hybrid drives. The 750GB drive is less than $200 from OWC.

I bought a carbon fiber case from OWC when I got my MBP. It looks cool and has kept my computer from looking like it has been through a war zone. There are less expensive options, so get what fits your budget.

OP
iPad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I appreciate all of the replies guys! I'm looking on OWC (which is an awesome site) and I've got a 8 GB RAM kit that'll work with my computer, it says. I'm looking at SSD hard drives and they seem a bit pricey. How difficult is it to install a HDD? I'm assuming if I can replace RAM I can install a HDD. In the video above it looks simple enough. I'm thinking of getting a 500 GB HDD, for half of a price of an SSD...but Is the speed difference really noticeable? Will a 500 GB HDD be a lot slower than my current one or will I be at the same file-write speed? Perhaps an SSD is the way to go but if it's a huge difference I may just wait on a hard drive. I've searched on Google to see if video rendering is improved with an SSD and I've read that it is, but no one really described if it's minutes faster, etc.

Regarding cases, I cannot find a snap-case/hard case that is under $40. Is this the norm haha, I'm not interested in getting a skin (those are basically stickers from what I understand?). If you could link me to the carbon fiber case, I'd love to see it.

It's looking like I'm going to go with a 8 GB RAM Kit at the very least. I'm just on the fence about the SSD.

---

Currently, it takes maybe 30-45 seconds to completely boot up. iTunes takes 22 seconds from the moment I click the icon, and Adobe Photoshop CS4 takes 46 seconds. Obviously having 8 GB of RAM will improve these times, but will an SSD make them even faster or is that just for saving files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
it takes 15 sec max to boot up on ssd, look at newgg.com you may get some good deal on ssd.
ram and ssd replacement is a breeze.

OP
iPad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I appreciate all of the replies, folks. I've had my cart on OWC ready to checkout since yesterday morning but I haven't continued yet. I'm on the fence about getting a 500 Gb or a SSD. I think I'm going to go for the 500 GB HDD for now, my current hard drive isn't loud unless I'm rendering video so it's not bad...faster load times would be awesome but it's not necessary...not yet anyway. Perhaps this time next year they'll be even cheaper.

I'm opting for...

8.0GB (4.0GB + 4.0GB Kit) PC-8500 DDR3 kit for iMac '09; MacBook/Pro Unibody '08-10; Mac mini '09/10 ($55.97)

DIY KIT: 500GB 5400RPM HD for MacBook, MacBook Pro (or PC Notebook)+OWC Express 2.5" Enclosure Kit ($78.99)

XGear EXOSkin Carbon Fiber Skin For Apple 13" Unibody MacBook Pro - Black Color. ($41.99)

phew...money goes fast... >.< I'll do a follow-up when I receive everything...Would you all suggest I checkout with Amazon or merely use OWC's checkout. Does it matter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
If you're going to get a platter-based drive spend a few extra bucks and buy a 7200 RPM model. If you have the budget for an SSD I strongly encourage you to buy one of Seagate's hybrid drives rather than a traditional HD. The speed difference is well worth the money

Reaction score
If you're going to get a platter-based drive spend a few extra bucks and buy a 7200 RPM model. If you have the budget for an SSD I strongly encourage you to buy one of Seagate's hybrid drives rather than a traditional HD. The speed difference is well worth the money

Ya, I'm also a fan of the new hybrid drives.

OP
iPad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to update! The goods came in this afternoon and I spent two hours upgrading. I merely backed up my old HDD to my new one using Disc Utility and now my old HDD is going into my Playstation 3. My old PS3 HDD (40 GB) is going to become my new external.

Everything is running loads smoother with my new RAM. Chrome opened in a few seconds, versus the past where it took a little longer. I think it may also be that I have 350 GB available on my HDD right now, that's speeding it up.

However, I got a Carbon Fiber skin (I hate skins but it looked like it was decent, so I bought it) and the outside pieces fit. The inside one, that's meant to cover the area surrounding the keyboard, doesn't fit at all. It's much too wide. There's about half a centimeter extending over the edge of my Macbook. I bought the right size, and it's meant for my computer according to OWC, but I was disappointed about that. The outside looks awesome though.

Thanks for the help, everyone! I think in the future, later on, I may go with an SSD though. Perhaps when tax returns come back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.