Touched hard drive circuit board, ruined??

Reaction score
I had water damage to my Macbook a few days ago so I took it to the Apple store. My computer is gone, but my hard drive was ok. I took hard drive home so we could buy the device to copy data to new computer.
Tonight I took out hard drive and held it not on the sides but on the curcuit board while holding my iPhone (plugged into wall) in other hand because I was trying to get info. Yes, dumb! So, is my hard drive definitely ruined??? It'll be a few days before we can attempt to get data copied. I'm freaking out!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're probably OK. Just touching the circuit board shouldn't be a problem unless you are putting a lot of pressure on the board or have some kind of static discharge. It's not a great habit to get into but I have done it a few times.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have done that by accident many times, not holding a phone but other things. I doubt you hurt it. If you slid on the carpet and a spark hit it from your finger then I would be concerned! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.