Corrupted Hard Drive Partitioning?

Reaction score
Hello everyone! First of all, let me say thank you for just existing. I've seen multiple threads on here that are amazing for helping total newbies like me. I actually just bought a secondhand iMac. It's an amazing machine but after having it checked out by the Genii at my local store I was actually told that the hard drive was shot. Here's where the question comes in...

Has anyone ever heard of partitioning a hard drive and installing OSX on each of them to see which area the bad sectors are actually on?

Would the entire HD be shot?

This is just temporary until my next check comes in and I can have it fixed. I was also told that I could boot from a USB drive but I know that will be painfully slow. I'm also open to other ideas.

This is my first post so I hope that I didn't do something wrong. Hope to hear from you guys and gals soon!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the hard drive is defective, it needs to be replaced. Partitioning it to find bad sectors is likely not going to work anyway. I would wait on your next pay check and have it changed out properly. Changing out a hard drive in an iMac is not for the feint of heart. It's a rather difficult job since the entire front panel display must first be removed in order to gain access to the inside of the machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.