Screen fading to white?

Reaction score
Hi. I have a Macbook Pro 13". It is 3 years old. For the last couple of weeks all of a sudden the screen will start to get blurry white and keep on until you can see anything anymore, it just stays this weird fuzzy white. Well it happens a lot now and my 13 year old son (who has a macbook through his school) tells me this happens to a lot of the kids computers and all you do is open / close the screen a little and it comes back on. He was right, if I rock the screen more open usually does best the screen comes back clear. Sometimes it takes a couple times. I never have to reboot, the worst I have to do is just close it and reopen it. When it starts to happen it kind of freezes up so I know its coming. His idea is a quick fix but any idea what this is and how much (range?) to fix it since I know I am out of warranty. Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well it happens a lot now and my 13 year old son (who has a macbook through his school) tells me this happens to a lot of the kids computers and all you do is open / close the screen a little and it comes back on.

Well I can tell you this is not that common of a problem. If this is happening a lot with the kids in this school...then one of two things are happening:

- somebody installed some sort of software that's causing this (since it's only happening to this group of kids)...and because I haven't heard of this before happening to such a large (closely-related) group
- the cables that go to the display are being worn out (opening & closing of the computer lid excessively)...or pinched in some way.

Again...I have not heard of this problem being this common amongst such a large group of closely related folks (students in the same school). So these students are either installing some sort of software that is causing this...or they have developed some sort of "game" or "activity" that's prematurely wearing out these computers by opening & closing the lid excessively.

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Thank you

Thanks Nick. I had a feeling this was not that common even though he argued with me. I am gonna have to bring it in and BAN him from my laptop. He does tell me that they (kids) tend to open lapgops further than should which has probably what he has done to mine:(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
He does tell me that they (kids) tend to open lapgops further than should which has probably what he has done to mine:(

This can be VERY bad...especially if you're talking about one of the white polycarbonate MacBooks. If the display is "over-opened"...cracks can form in the plastic housing near the hinge area. And each time this happens...the cracks can get larger & larger...and eventually everything will feel loose.

If you want to check for cracks (if you have a white-plastic MacBook)...flip the MacBook over (bottomside)...and look carefully around the hinge area for cracks. Sometimes they're hard to see. If you do an open/close action on the display (while looking at the bottom of the MacBook)...if cracks are there...they will "open" up/spread a bit.

It is possible that over-opening the display could lead to stress on the cables that go to the display...which could lead to this "screen fading to white" issue.

Hopefully this MacBook doesn't have any cracks...but if the display has been over-opened frequently...it probably does (and they will only get bigger if special care from now on is not taken).

Good luck,:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.