Running Windows- is it worth it

Reaction score
Hi all, Is it worth running windows OS on my MBP.
Hopefully there is a cranium of knowledge out there who could explain the advantages/disadvantages for me,
Must point out though that having made the switch i am extremely happy with OS Lion i am running with,

Thanks guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
the only reason to run Windows OS on your Mac is if there is specific software you need to use that is Windows only OR if you want to run certain games.

I primarily only use Windows to play games - everything else I do in OSX. If the games I like existed and/or worked well in OSX I'd probably never use Windows at home any more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Depends entirely on your needs. Windows does offer some better programming, such as label making and Avery templates for address labels etc.

OP
J
Reaction score
Brilliant thank you, i work away and only games really i play are ones from App store. (fan of games anyway)
I know what you mean by lack of games and would like to see available for Mac, is it much hassle to set up a windows OS and does it effect the day to day running of OSX, i dont really want to mess up my MB after the money that was spent purchasing it. Even though it would be nice to play the games i have laying around,
As far as the labeling goes i dont really have a need to do stuff like,
thanks for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
Personally I came to the conclusion that I am better off adapting to OSX for a good long while before making any decision to run windows. Now that I have been using my MBA for several months I have pretty much eliminated any thought I once had about running windows. The only thing I need is Office which is available in a Mac version which is not as good as the windows version - but plenty good enough for my purposes. As it is - the only program I am using in Office now is Word.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
For the first 9 months of having my MBP I had Windows 7 on it. I had it for Sony Vegas, CS3 and DVDFab Pro. At that time, I didnt have the replacements for those programs on the OSX side. However, after finally replacing Vegas with Final Cut Pro X, CS3 with Aperture and Pixelmator (only needed to do touch-ups anyway) and DVDFab Pro with the OSX version, I got rid of Windows. Just didnt need it any longer.

I briefly played Rifts, but one game was not worth the trouble of rebooting all the time.

I will say this, Windows 7 ran beautifully.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15, 2.2ghz, 4G ram 10.9
I am a new mac user and was wondering about the whole windows install thing - primarily for games and for the occasional program I use at school (I am a teacher), but so far I have been able to adapt and I have avoided adding windows at all. I figure down the road if I really need windows I can install it.

I am a huge gaming fan and was wondering what I was going to do. Then diablo 3 came out for mac - it runs great; and I found a listing of older mmo games that have mac versions and think I have found just about all of the gaming I want for a while.

I am ultimately trying to run strictly mac for a while to learn all of the ins/outs of the system instead of jumping back to windows as a handicap. So far so good, especially with a site like this to help you out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Depends entirely on your needs. Windows does offer some better programming, such as label making and Avery templates for address labels etc.

Word for mac has Avery templates built in so that would be a pretty lame excuse to use Windows, and although they weren't labelled as such OfficeOffice and NeoOffice also had most of not all the standard Avery templates too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 13 MacBook Pro, 11" MacBook Air, 64G iPad, iPhone 4
I run Win 7 on Parallels but only for memory Map software. Runs perfectly apart from Windows habit of needing about 50 updates and three reboots every time I use it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.