Mbp 15 help me chose for photography

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have been in the market for a new mbp for awhile. I have decided to not go retina. Due to lack of upgrades and apps and everyone needing to catch up to thier technology.

I'm stuck between base model 1799 mbp 15. Only thing that concerns me is diff in dedicated graphics card ram. 512mb vs 1gb.

I will mainly do photography on this laptop. (and some gaming- diablo 3 for example)

Would it be wise to get the 2199 model?
I would upgrade ram and hdd myself so main diff is graphics card and .3 ghz gained.
One thing I'd like to mention I'm getting it customized with antiglare.

To recap- would I be ok with base model 512mb graphics card. Or benefit getting the 2199.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
I have 512 NVIDIA

in my mid 2010 MBPro that I use for processing photographs with Lightroom, Aperture and Photoshop. Were I to upgrade, and I am seriously considering it, I would go whole hog with my next one as I did two years ago with my current machine. 1 gigabyte on the graphics. I also have an MB Air with 256 gig SSD and marvel at the speed of that drive so my new MBP must have the 768 gig SSD which, as you know is pricey.

Retina for me, please. 2.7 quad processor, 16 gig of memory.

I know this makes the machine pricey but the speed of processing and the image clarity are worth that, especially if you earn money with your images. Seen the difference in screens between the iPad2 and the new iPad? Retina is amazing.

Imagine That Images

OP
S
Reaction score
in my mid 2010 MBPro that I use for processing photographs with Lightroom, Aperture and Photoshop. Were I to upgrade, and I am seriously considering it, I would go whole hog with my next one as I did two years ago with my current machine. 1 gigabyte on the graphics. I also have an MB Air with 256 gig SSD and marvel at the speed of that drive so my new MBP must have the 768 gig SSD which, as you know is pricey.

Retina for me, please. 2.7 quad processor, 16 gig of memory.

I know this makes the machine pricey but the speed of processing and the image clarity are worth that, especially if you earn money with your images. Seen the difference in screens between the iPad2 and the new iPad? Retina is amazing.

Imagine That Images

Sorry I thought I was clear on my not going with retina. As being a photographer photoshop is fuzzy on the retina one. Until they update it. And as I can update the non retina how I like.

And I need the antiglare. Once those are fixed I might consider it then.

Thanks for your input :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.