Is an iPhone required to use Sync and the Cloud?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi, 128GB iPhone 7
I'd like to switch to a smartphone other than the iPhone4 I have... but am I tied to the iPhone if I want to continue syncing to iCloud for my cell phone, MacBookPro and iPad3? Thanks in advance for your help.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
iOS devices and Mac's running OS X can sync with iCloud. Random cell phones cannot sync with iCloud..

So if you were to leave the iPhone 4 behind, your MBP and iPad will continue to sync..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You could also move over to another cloud platform that is a little more friendly in terms of working with non-Apple gear. For instance, I use Google Calendar and it works like a charm in iCal, iOS and Android.

C

chas_m

In order to take advantage of iCloud syncing (which covers a lot more than calendar and mail syncing!) you would need an iOS device *capable of running iOS 5 or later*. And/or a Mac running Lion.

If all you need is mail and calendar syncing, you can use Google (with ads, and the methodology by which they target those ads). I prefer iCloud (without ads), but that's because I have no plans to get off iOS.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If all you need is mail and calendar syncing, you can use Google (with ads, and the methodology by which they target those ads).
It's pretty hard to see ads when you sync contacts and calendars across devices. ;)

C

chas_m

I was referring to the browser versions of these services, but you are right. For contacts and calendars, they just scan for keywords in your data.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.