G5 capabilities

Reaction score
I am purchasing a new G5 for work, and I am not sure which incarnation to buy. I do mostly graphic design, running Adobe CS programs, Quark and Freehand. I also deal with large database files (3+ MB) which our worn out G3 stumbles over. My 1.9 GHz iMac G5 with 512MB RAM at home handles CS fairly well (not running Quark or Freehand) but is a little slow when under a heavy load. Based on that, I was looking at the Dual 2GHz upgraded to 1GB SDRAM. I really don't want to buy one and realize a few weeks down the road that I should have gotten something a little better. Would the 2GHz be sufficient for what I am working with, or do I need to move up the ladder? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
that should be fine, but if you're going to spend the money.. spend it on the RAM and buy it from someone besides apple so that you can make your money stretch a bit further.. Your iMac would be able to handle it all smoothly if you had more RAM.. I have a Gig and run CS no problem, plus lots and lots of other programs at the same time. With the Dual 2GHz with lots of RAM you should be smokin'! :)

D

dwd3885

Skinner said:
I am purchasing a new G5 for work, and I am not sure which incarnation to buy. I do mostly graphic design, running Adobe CS programs, Quark and Freehand. I also deal with large database files (3+ MB) which our worn out G3 stumbles over. My 1.9 GHz iMac G5 with 512MB RAM at home handles CS fairly well (not running Quark or Freehand) but is a little slow when under a heavy load. Based on that, I was looking at the Dual 2GHz upgraded to 1GB SDRAM. I really don't want to buy one and realize a few weeks down the road that I should have gotten something a little better. Would the 2GHz be sufficient for what I am working with, or do I need to move up the ladder? Thanks.

Hey, do what I just did. Buy the refurbished Dual 2GHZ from Apple for $1449 and spend the $500 you didn't spend on the Dual Core to buy RAM. That should easily buy you at least 4GB of it. And this one has 8 slots so you'll be good to go

L

lil

The Dual 2.0 and 2.3 are the 'sweet spots' if you will, I have used a Dual 2.7 before and yes it was faster but for the extra cost; it was not worth it versus the Dual 2 or 2.3; considering with what I'd save I'd get more RAM, better graphics card and a good monitor for the same price.

In the new year pending starting a new job and moving somewhere bigger, I will also most likely be looking to get a Dual 2.0 Power Mac G5 -- they are fast machines!

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
lil said:
The Dual 2.0 and 2.3 are the 'sweet spots' if you will, I have used a Dual 2.7 before and yes it was faster but for the extra cost; it was not worth it versus the Dual 2 or 2.3; considering with what I'd save I'd get more RAM, better graphics card and a good monitor for the same price.

In the new year pending starting a new job and moving somewhere bigger, I will also most likely be looking to get a Dual 2.0 Power Mac G5 -- they are fast machines!

Vicky

Agreed. The Dual 2.7 wasn't worth the extra $400, and I've never looked back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.