How do you backup ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
I would like to make sure I have a backup of. Key Chain, Mail settings and emails, Safari favorites, and Calendar and address book.

How can I do this?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
External hard disk - use Time Machine to backup.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Time Machine to an external HDD is an excellent way to start.

Have to add that I firmly expect to see an article appearing in our Mac Forum Blog in the next few days that will answer a lot of your questions. Suggest you watch for it.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
I have a external drive that I can use. What I was not sure of is where these files are located. I'm not sure what file needs to be backed for like key chain, mail, calendar and so on. This would be for a clean install for ML.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The files that you mentioned are going to be in your user (home) folder. Might I suggest though that instead of doing that you create a bootable "clone" of your startup drive. This way if there are major problems with ML (which I don't anticipate), to you just don't like it, then it's relatively easy to revert to for current setup.

Take a look at Carbon Copy Cloner - Home. It will clone both the main partition and the hidden recovery partition in Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Slydude . . . can you migrate apps/settings etc into a clean install of a different OS version from a CCC image? like you can with a Time Machine backup?

I've always taken them as a backup backup but as Time Machine (touch wood) hasn't failed me yet I've never needed to restore it.

Reaction score
Cloned base install (w/applications) to an external then put away i.e. not connected to power or in a computer..Nightly CCC Clone to a HDD located in the computer..My home folder is on a seperate drive not located on the boot drive therefore if I loose the boot drive or it goes bad there my data is safe and sound.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm pretty sure you can do that but don't remember if I have tried it. Recent event's make me pretty sure that Migration Assistant should handle jut with no problems.

I have two Macs that are both on the current version of Lion. When a hard drive in my MBP died I took the drive from the Mac Pro and used it to boot the MB Pro for several days till I could afford a new drive. When the new drive arrived I made a clone of the drive onto the laptop and booted with no trouble. I didn't try Migration Assistant but it should see the clone just as if you were transferring from another Mac.

The only thing I have had to do is remove a few things that are present on the Mac Pro but not needed on the laptop. The laptop does not, for example need the preference pane for a video capture card that's in my Mac Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers, good to know, makes sense when you look at it that way....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.