Huge noob question: I feel like my mac is not utilizing its full CPU & RAM power.

Reaction score
Hello, Im wondering if there is an option where I can set the amount of power for a certain operation on my mac, I feel like it may not be utilizing its full capabilities.

Let me give you my situation;
My mac specs are:
Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

Im currently transferring some files between two partitions, on the same external Hard drive.
(2Tb LaCie drive split in half.)
It is USB 3.0,
and it also has it's own plug in power adaptor in order to work.

Right now, Im transferring the following:
-282.2GB -16 Hrs
-13.76GB -34 Min
-9.05 GB -12 Min

At this moment, With the following operations up above, my CPU status is displayed as seen here:
ScreenShot2012-06-20at20843AM.png

and my Ram displayed as seen here:
ScreenShot2012-06-20at20904AM.png

Shouldn't my mac be able to Amp itself Up and rip through this transfer with its CPU capabilities? Or does File transferring have nothing to do with CPU/RAM?
I understand having multiple transfers at once will slow each one down until they stand alone,
But I just assumed my mac would be able to rack up all its power and make the transferring faster.

Could someone please explain?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
File transfer is BUS speed with Internal drives. USB 3.0 no matter what the specs say is a hog and not efficient at all. Those speeds are fine for USB 3.0.

The CPU and RAM have nothing to do with your file transfer speeds at all. USB 3.0, Hard drive speed, Bus speed.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok, I assumed this, but i didn't know for sure.
To my knowledge, I thought fire wire is the only thing that made a difference, so i said to myself, "No way theres gotta be some settings to make it faster cause i have the power"

But i guess not :/

Anyways thanks for letting men now.
The other files finished and the big one will be done in 6hours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Concurrent file transfers across USB will slow all of them down. Not to mention the hard disks are having to read/write from multiple locations.

In my experience it's quicker to do separate transfers one after another than trying multiple ones all at the same time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.