• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New Vehicle and Speed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook Intel 2GHZ CD, 2GB RAM
I was told that with new vehicles it isnt good for the engine to do over 65MPH for the first 1,000 miles. Is this true?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Interesting question, whwn I was younger it was 55mph. It maybe true on a manual transmission, because you want to work through all of your gearing. Not sure on an automatic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah I heard the same thing recently, and the speed was 55-60.. so I guess anywhere around that is good. I am curious about it myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
yes, its the rpms over a long period of time. Its best to visit alot of distant people and get alot of easy miles on the engine before you travel any faster than around 3500rpm for more than 10-15minutes. or so it would seem...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2GHz PowerMac G5 + 20" Apple Cinema Display
yeah when i got my car brand new the manual said keep it below 3,000RPM for the first 600 miles. I did that and then gradually increased the RPM untill over 1,000 miles just to be safe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
its all aload of tosh anyway as nearly all car engines are pre-run in now anyway

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
it is still good to break anything mechanical in a bit before you use it. my advice would be to not baby your car and to not race it. drive like an old woman for your first two oil changes (sorry for the stereotype).
-chris

T

twotone

Actually, you can go any speed you want, 5 mph, 150 mph.
You just don't want to keep it at the same speed for an extended period of time. In other words, change up the speed now and than for the first few hundred miles. It is true that modern engines are all broken in at the factory.
Don't baby it. It likes it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
twotone said:
Actually, you can go any speed you want, 5 mph, 150 mph.
You just don't want to keep it at the same speed for an extended period of time. In other words, change up the speed now and than for the first few hundred miles. It is true that modern engines are all broken in at the factory.
Don't baby it. It likes it!

Yep- what you're all describing is the normal wearing-in period for the rings. My recommendation is to allow the engine a little time, perhaps 15 seconds after starting so the cylinder liners can warm up, and then for the first 600 miles or so avoid any "shock" loading, i.e. jamming on the gas, unless it is absolutely necessary (drivers here in Pensacola are INSANE!) If your dealer gives you RPM recommendations, try to stay within them. Actually for wear in periods, it is BETTER to run the engine at steady speeds. Start at a medium RPM, say 2500 to 3500 max depending on your engine (sportier engines tend to run faster, call it 50% of redline) and drive it at no higher than this speed for the first few hundred miles, then GRADUALLY increase your RPM "limit".

This applies more to rebuilds though, because as people have said, "new" car engines are factory run-in. Otherwise people would blow their engines all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah Im looking to buy a Honda and so I was at a Honda dealership today and asked that question since it came up on the board today and the Honda dealer said that you do not need to do anything with a Honda.. so no breaking in period.. Now other makes.. I have no idea :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
inflexion said:
its all aload of tosh anyway as nearly all car engines are pre-run in now anyway
I agree. It is my opinion that manufacturers only recomend this as a ploy to lessen the chances of speeding and speed related accidents. Here in the US, the fastest posted speed limit on highways is 65 mph. Coincidence? I think not. They suggest that you do it for a long enough time, in hopes that you will forget about a "breaking in" period and just keep driving the posted limit.
Car engines are designed to run safely and smoothly. They are tested and pre-run. Sure, just as it is with any complex machine, breakdowns and mishaps can occur. But it has very little and next to nothing to do with how fast you drive during your first 3000 miles.
I myself, don't drive at excessive speeds. This is not to say that I don't speed, I have set the cruise control for 75 mph on long, highway trips. Yet, 75 mph is hardly excessive. As long as you are driving safely and paying attention to the road, it really wouldn't matter what speed you drive your car at.

D

damontgo

D3v1L80Y said:
Here in the US, the fastest posted speed limit on highways is 65 mph.

I know this is still true for the majority of the states, but some highly traveled roads got a recent bump. I-65 anyone? I know one highway in Florida that we used to take all the time has been at 70 mph for at least 5 years. I believe there may even be some ares where the posted limit is 75, but don't quote me on that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah some here in California at 70, up in Washington state also. There used to be some areas in Montana that did not have a speed limit.. no idea if they are still there though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Murlyn said:
Yeah some here in California at 70, up in Washington state also. There used to be some areas in Montana that did not have a speed limit.. no idea if they are still there though.

I know a guy from Montana, he said they're set to 80 now, but signs are few and far between.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.