Cd/DVD drive not recognized since lion upgrade - iMac 27" 2009

Reaction score
Immediately after upgrade from Snow Leopard via app store to Lion my iMac won't read burnt CD's or play any DVD's.
Will mountain lion upgrade in July fix this?
Gosso

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's probably coincidental that your optical drive will no longer read burned CDs or DVDs, not because of Lion. And no, upgrading to Mountain Lion is not going to bring a defective optical drive back to life. Try cleaning the drive with a can of compressed air. Blow a few short blasts into the slot opening. If that doesn't work, it's likely you'll need a new drive or buy an external drive instead.

Reaction score
Me too!

I have the same problem. The drive works perfectly when I boot into boot camp (windows 7). I can see DVDs but not CDs when I am in OS X however. Upgraded to Mountain Lion and still the same problem. I have reinstalled from scratch the operating system, and it worked at first, but now no longer works again. Can certain installed software conflict in such a way as to cause this to happen? I will be glad to post a list of my installed applications.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.