A problem with bootcamp asst. install of Windows 7

Reaction score
on iMac 21.5 late 2009 running Lion, partitioned new HD (due to drive failure) with 150 GB FAT format partition. Then booted up with my purchased Windows 7 full version Home Premium disc. Note: I successfully partitioned, installed, and used Win7 on my original HD on this computer, with no problem. The Windows 7 screen came up, and installation started. I selected "custom install" and "format" options (NTSF), and selected "bootcamp..." from the file list. It copied the files from the install disc, then started the "expand file" step. Looked like about 1/2 to 3/4 way thru the step got a 0x80070017 corrupt or missing file error, with no way to recover. I went to MS help with the problem, and received advice to download Win7 with SP1 ISO and try to install that. I did the download, but am getting nowhere with trying to install from the disc. I would gratefully appreciate any suggestions as to how to proceed. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
When you start Bootcamp Assistant it is necessary to have the drive formatted in a single partition, formatted Mac OS Extended (Journalled). The setting up of the 150GB NTFS partition is done during the actual software install and not prior.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I went to MS help with the problem, and received advice to download Win7 with SP1 ISO and try to install that. I did the download, but am getting nowhere with trying to install from the disc. I would gratefully appreciate any suggestions as to how to proceed. Thank you.

Once you have the ISO you need to use Burn Image from disk utility to create the disc. Is that what you did?

OP
D
Reaction score
When you start Bootcamp Assistant it is necessary to have the drive formatted in a single partition, formatted Mac OS Extended (Journalled). The setting up of the 150GB NTFS partition is done during the actual software install and not prior.

Yes, when I started Bootcamp Asst. the drive was as you said, a single partition Mac OS Extended (Journalled). I set up the 150GB partition by using the bootcamp slider control. Then did the "custom install" option of Win7, and the "format" option. I didn't state this clearly in my original post, sorry. Also, I have all the log, etc., files Windows wrote to the bootcamp partition, if that would help. Looks like the installer was checking the product key codes just before aborting with the 0x80070017 error code. Also found a window error type code of 3211266.

OP
D
Reaction score
Once you have the ISO you need to use Burn Image from disk utility to create the disc. Is that what you did?

BINGO!!! I burned the ISO disc by just right clicking the download and doing a burn. I went back and started over, by burning the disc in disk utility, then redid the whole bootcamp install and WALLA, it did the complete install. So, a burn is a burn is a burn is not true in this world. Only thing I have now is the bootcamp link does not appear on the windows side, nor can it be found by doing a search. It was there on my past install when I had my original hard drive. I think I've seen posts referring to this, so will research further.

Thanks for your help, it never would have occurred to me that you have to use burn inside disc utility.

OP
D
Reaction score

Thanks for your help, I now have windows 7 with SP1 installed. "Mrplow" pointed out that the download Win7 w/SP1 package needed to be burned to disc within disc utility. Before I just did a burn from the desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
That's the difference between burning a file to a disc and burning an image.

Have you installed the driver package downloaded during the bootcamp assistant phase?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.