iPod won't mount or hold a charge! HELP

Reaction score
Hello
I have had my iPod classic for about three months. I bought it as a refurb straight from the Apple uk website. Just recently it has seemingly malfunctioned as it won't hold a charge any more. When I plug it in the wall - it's fully functionable and says it's charging, but as soon as I pull the power cable out - it goes dead again. It won't mount when I plug it into the MacbookPro, or my old PowerBook. Via USB cable it shows the black screen with "charging please wait message".. but no matter how long you wait (all day) it never charges or mounts. I have also tried with a firewire cable in both machines, hoping the more power might help, and it does but not enough.. Via Firewire cable it shows as charging but the iPod remains unmounted.

Disc utility can't detect the presence of the device with either cable.

The annoying thing is I have a lot of important work data on the ipod and I'm afraid if I send it to Apple to be repaired (or replaced) as it's I assume clearly still under warranty, I will lose everything?. Can anyone offer any advice? I have tried resetting, and doing the diagnostic test - but nothing seems to work - I just can't get the thing to mount on the computer. I just need to get the data off - and then I'm happy for it to be repaired, but I am not sure how???!

If anyone can help that would be amazing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Apple is going to replace it with another refurb and you will need to backup your files if possible. You can try replacing the battery yourself.

OP
F
Reaction score
getting data off

Yes it's still under warranty, so that should be fine in regard to getting a replacement. But.....

Is there a way for me of getting the data off, prior to taking to the Apple Store?

And does anyone know once I take to the Apple Store, will they take it away to diagnose or will they replace it there and then?

OP
F
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience of taking an iPod (under warranty) to an Apple Store to get a replacement?

Do they have to diagnose the problem and send it away - or will they replace it there and then?

Will you get slightly better treatment perhaps if you are girl? (fingers crossed)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not start a new thread. Continue posting to the same thread as the subject is the same. Thank. (threads merged together)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
The hard drive on my refurb iPod Classic quit working after about six months. I took it to the Apple Store and they handed me another refurb iPod Classic after testing mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Your refurb iPod is covered by 12 months warranty. If you take it to an Apple Store they will test it, likely fail it, and supply you with a service exchange. They keep the faulty iPod. If you take it to an AASP the same will happen other than they will order a replacement that will likely arrive the following working day. If you attempt to change the battery, or change it, and either the Apple Store or AASP becomes aware, they will void the warranty. Either option will mean you lose your data. If the work data is more valuable than the iPod or it's warranty, go ahead and replace the battery. Batteries usually ship with plastic tools for releasing the case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.