Battery Life on Macbook Pro very low but CPU is normal.

Reaction score
I got a macbook pro 15" mid 2010 and I have noticed in the past few months that my battery life is way low, never charging to more than about 3 hours of life. I had this issue last year and turned out I had a document in my print cue the was taking up a ton of CPU but this time I have checked the CPU and it is fine, i'm only using 3%. I have all programs ended except safari, screen brightness and keyboard lights way down. I just want my computer back to its original 7-8 hour battery life. Is that possible? Do I need a new battery?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just want my computer back to its original 7-8 hour battery life. Is that possible? Do I need a new battery?

I would love to be 25 years-old again...but that's just not going to happen.:(;)

Laptop batteries are the same way. From the very first time you turn your laptop on...the battery begins is slow degradation in battery life. So getting back to the computers original 7-8 hours of total runtime on a full charge (when you're currently only getting 3 hours)...probably isn't going to happen.

But anyway...one place to start is telling us how many battery charge/discharge cycles this computer has. Go to:

- Apple Menu
- About this Mac
- Click on the "More Info" button
- click on "Power" in the next window
- look for the heading "Battery Information"
- tell us the "Cycle Count" and "Condition"

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2.26ghz MacBook 6,1 Late 2009 250GB HD 8GB ram, Mavericks, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)
I just want my computer back to its original 7-8 hour battery life. Is that possible? Do I need a new battery?

No that is not possible. Battery life will get lower and will not get back to the original state of 7-8 hours when you first got the laptop. find out the health battery of your laptop. Also, to increase battery life. Do the battery cycle at least every 3 months.

C

chas_m

You can download Coconut Battery to help test the battery and see what's up. Please do let us know the results of that, it will be super helpful in figuring out what the problem is.

Your battery may be two years old but there is NO WAY it should be down to half of its original battery life, I don't know why the guys above are suggesting this. That's *definitely* abnormal unless you've been unusually hard on the battery (excessive number of charging cycles, or something else going on).

OP
M
Reaction score
I would love to be 25 years-old again...but that's just not going to happen.:(;)

Ha! ;)

The following is the information that came up regarding my battery:
Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 2332
Fully Charged: No
Charging: Yes
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4906
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 454
Condition: Service Battery
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 1984
Voltage (mV): 12475

According to the Condition, my battery is in need of Service? Where do I go from here? I'm amazed it only took a few years to get to this point.

-Annie

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
According to the Condition, my battery is in need of Service? Where do I go from here? I'm amazed it only took a few years to get to this point.

It simply means you need a new battery. Since your battery is the non-user serviceable unit, it means that it should be changed out by Apple. Is your machine covered under Apple Care? Also, that battery is supposed to be able to go 1000 cycles or there about before expiring. Apple might replace it for free, so be sure to contact them.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

-Annie

Definitely agree with "chscag". With 454 cycles on a 1000 cycle battery...you shouldn't be getting the "battery needs service" message.

Get Apple to check it out.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I am under Apple Care and will definitely look into bringing my computer in this month.

Thank you to everyone, you guys have been a great help! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.