Fan noise?!

Reaction score
HI! I've had my macbook pro 13" for 1 year and 2 days, to be exact.
And recently (after upgrading to lion, - which i did about 2 weeks ago or so) my mac gets hot, and the fan starts running at its maximum level. This is really annoying, and it sometimes happens just from watching YouTube, or writing a document in Word. Theres nothing weird about the sound, I'm usually getting it when im redering videos, but it's extremly annoying to get it all the time!

I hope that someone has a solution!
Thanks in advance.

~Thomas

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
And recently (after upgrading to lion, - which i did about 2 weeks ago or so) my mac gets hot, and the fan starts running at its maximum level. This is really annoying, and it sometimes happens just from watching YouTube...

YouTube & watching video of almost any sort is demanding...so don't underestimate the demand YouTube/videos put on a computer.

Also consider (if you Live in the Northern Hemisphere)...that it's Summertime...and increased environmental temperatures will also cause higher computer temps.

Nothing sounds unusual...so really nothing to be concerned about.:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
YouTube & watching video of almost any sort is demanding...so don't underestimate the demand YouTube/videos put on a computer.

Also consider (if you Live in the Northern Hemisphere)...that it's Summertime...and increased environmental temperatures will also cause higher computer temps.

Nothing sounds unusual...so really nothing to be concerned about.:)

- Nick

So it's normal for a mac to get so warm that i can barely touch it without gettings burns just from watching videos? Also whenever i watch a video my CPU goes up to about 50% useage for shockwave flash player, and whenever i play small mini games, as for an example baloon tower defense my cpu goes at minimal up to 105%. I simply can't believe that this is normal. :|
Anyway thanks for your reply, does everyone agree about this being normal? :Confused:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So it's normal for a mac to get so warm that i can barely touch it without gettings burns just from watching videos?

Normal in my experience.

Also whenever i watch a video my CPU goes up to about 50% useage for shockwave flash player...

Normal in my experience.

and whenever i play small mini games, as for an example baloon tower defense my cpu goes at minimal up to 105%. I simply can't believe that this is normal. :|

Same thing happens to me when I play Runescape. So quite possibly normal.

I simply can't believe that this is normal. :|

Believe it!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmpf o.0 i refuse to ever buy a mac again :Not-Amused:

I'm kind of surprised it took 1 year & 2 days for this sort of thing to be discovered.

If you search Mac-Forums...you will see that we have lots & lots of threads relating to fans & temperatures of Apple laptops.

You haven't told us what the temps are of your MacBook Pro...but I'm willing to bet that they are within a normal range as well.

FYI...high temps can be related to:

- dirty fans
- insufficient cool air flow (air flow blocked by using the laptop on soft surfaces such as your lap, on top of a blanket, on top of an upholstered chair or couch)
- remember that if you use your notebook on your lap...that your legs are warm...and this adds to heat the computer needs to dissipate
- a warm/hot room will make a laptop run hotter

In any case...if you choose not to purchase another Apple computer...you're simply exercising your right to freedom of choice. But if you prefer the Mac OS to the Windows OS...then you need to use an Apple computer.;)

- Nick

C

chas_m

Before you give up on Apple entirely .... hahaha, like there's really an alternative ... you might try seeing if your Flash setup can be upgraded. Could make a big difference.

Reaction score
HI! I've had my macbook pro 13" for 1 year and 2 days, to be exact.
And recently (after upgrading to lion, - which i did about 2 weeks ago or so) my mac gets hot, and the fan starts running at its maximum level. This is really annoying, and it sometimes happens just from watching YouTube, or writing a document in Word. Theres nothing weird about the sound, I'm usually getting it when im redering videos, but it's extremly annoying to get it all the time!

I hope that someone has a solution!
Thanks in advance.

~Thomas

This happened to alot of people..after the upgrade

Take Lion off, go back to Snow Leopard and upgrade to ML next month..

Many issues with Lion until I did a fresh install and moved to .2...

The computer will be warm, you know haw warm it should be because you've had it for a year already anything temp above last month (before the Lion install) is not "normal". The computer like all computers will shut down if its too hot though.

Since you playing and arguing with the computer anyway take the bottom off and blow it out. My wife a daughter both play facebook games on aluminum mac's and don't complain.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.