2012 Macbook Pro with retina display won't recognize my External Hard drive.

Reaction score
Thanks Maka for your detailed and extensive testing.
I agree with you.
Its a Seagate USB 3 problem.
I tested with WD USB 3 with no problems.
I, too swapped cables but the problem remained.
It is also not a PRAM problem as i performed a reset to no avail.
I have contacted seagate support.
Will keep u updated if I have any useful information.

Reaction score
I performed the apple software update that was released for MBA and MBPR and subsequently a SMC reset.
The drive recognition problems for Seagate GoFlex Desk USB 3.0 were subsequently resolved.
I did not return the drive.
It is a handshake issue and apple's software update fixed it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I performed the apple software update that was released for MBA and MBPR and subsequently a SMC reset.
The drive recognition problems for Seagate GoFlex Desk USB 3.0 were subsequently resolved.
I did not return the drive.
It is a handshake issue and apple's software update fixed it.

That is excellent news! Thanks for coming back and posting this as it might help someone else!

Reaction score
Just a follow up post to say that the Seagate GoFlex USB 3 has been behaving pretty well except in a particular situation when one plugs in the disk when the MBA is at the login screen and immediately logs on without waiting for the disk indicator light to come on.

In this situation, sometimes the disk is recognized and others it is not.
This state of affairs results when one closes the lid and sends the MBA to sleep without logging off.
When you do that, the MBA will become finicky and occasionally will not recognize the disk. This is usually resolved when you unplug and plug it in again.

To remedy this situation, one needs to perform the pre SMC reset steps described by apple : first make the computer sleep, then wake it up, then restart it, wait for it to restart and then shut it down.
Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
Once these 3 steps are done, the disk will be recognized even when you login before the disk indicator lights come on.

To ensure that the disk is always recognized, one has to logout every time you put the computer to sleep. If you logout every time you put the MBA to sleep, everything is ok.

Looks like the sleep/wake process is buggy for Lion and USB 3.0
Looks like more work needs to be done by both Apple and/or Seagate to make the process smooth.
I hope someone from Apple or Seagate is listening - pls try to make it better for everyone.

Reaction score
Follow up post after installing Mountain Lion.
Seagate GoFlex USB 3.0 works well with Mountain Lion.
No mounting problems were encountered.
It even works with power nap !
During power nap, the round power indicator light goes off but the bar indicator lights for drive capacity stays on.

Reaction score
Try using a different usb cord

My hard drives would not show up, or show up once, then not again even after reboot, unplug, etc. I had a few extra usb 3.0 cords laying around switching the cord got the drive to show up. Hope it helps someone else solve their issue with external hard drives not showing with the new mac retina.w

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.