Advice on MBP cover

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, OS X 10.6.6, Snow Leopard
I just broke down from my 2006 Black Macbook and purchased the new MBP. I'm now trying to treat this like it's my first born child.

I have a padded bag that I transport my macs in, but I am looking for a cover so that it does not get scratched. I am looking at THIN and very minimal. Pretty much just for scratches. I don't need a 15 pound body armor that protects from a nuclear disaster. I would prefer to buy local (Apple, BestBuy, etc). I saw the Speck model and a similar one at the Apple store, but I am unsure what to go with and wanted to get some user reviews.

Thanks in advance!

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I forgot to add.....13 inch. Sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
Go with invisible shield from zagg.com. It is a little pricey, but worth it, if you can scratch the invisible shield, they will replace it, you just pay shipping. I have it on my iPad, and had it on an old lf phone I had, the only thing I found that scratched it was sliding it on a 2x4 piece of wood. They have different coverage levels, and it is almost invisible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I've been using a Speck case on both my 17" MBP and on my wife's 13" MBA. I like the feel of the case. It has protected my MBP from a fall from an overhead bin on an airline right to the floor. Broke the case but the computer was fine.

I had a gelaskin on an older MBA. I like the skin. I do like Zagg for skins as well.

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the suggestions. I also have zagg on my iPad and iPhone. I did not know that you could get it to cover MBP. I tried the zagg as a cover for the back of my iPhone and did not like it. Ends kept peeling. I feel like it would do the same on the Mac going in and out of a bag. Unless you just mean for the screen? Thanks again.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I use the Incipio Feather snap-on case for my MacBook Pro. Compared to the Speck case (which I also have), it's significantly thinner and lighter, and it doesn't stress the hinges like the Speck does (i.e. the lid isn't prone to feeling floppy while it's installed).

It's not perfect, but I do like it better than the Speck and the clasps aren't prone to breaking off like they are on the Speck. I would advise against the Invisible Shield as it has a tendency to lift and peel at the corners and won't protect against bumps like the snap-on cases will.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
Thanks for the suggestions. I also have zagg on my iPad and iPhone. I did not know that you could get it to cover MBP. I tried the zagg as a cover for the back of my iPhone and did not like it. Ends kept peeling. I feel like it would do the same on the Mac going in and out of a bag. Unless you just mean for the screen? Thanks again.

This would also be covered by the warranty. I had the full body on the phone, nothing else, it was in and out of my pocket all the time it started to peel after about 1 1/2 years. The laptop does not go around the edges the are sharp bends. But I noticed the one i have on my iPad is much nicer then the one I had a few years ago on my lg phone. Also, the screen does not get covered with invisible shield.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
This would also be covered by the warranty. I had the full body on the phone, nothing else, it was in and out of my pocket all the time it started to peel after about 1 1/2 years. The laptop does not go around the edges the are sharp bends. But I noticed the one i have on my iPad is much nicer then the one I had a few years ago on my lg phone. Also, the screen does not get covered with invisible shield.

One thing to note though (and this might be different for the iPhone skins) - the "lifetime" warranty means "once in a lifetime". So, when it starts peeling at the edges, you get a new one (shipping is at your cost - in my case, $14) and then you're done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
The straight up invisible shield seems to lift easily - the print stuff and the leather skins from Zagg don't seem to have that problem. Same with the Gelaskin. I've had a Gelaskin on a 13" MBA original - that is since 2008 - and the Gelaskin is still on there. I've put leather skins on an iPhone 4 an iPad 2 and an iPad 3 (new iPad) and none of the leather skins have the lift/peel issue either.

I like the thinness of skins but there really is very little drop protection.

There is a cool cover from twelvesouth called bookbook
BookBook Case - BookBook Case - Twelve South

The cases I've gotten from incipio I've liked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
One thing to think of if you purchase something like the Speck, which i have in the13", is to remove it periodically for a good cleaning. Dirt and dust will still find its way in-between the Case and the Aluminium body and WILL scratch the Aluminium body of the MBP.
Just something to think about with your purchase. Once you have it on, its not like you will never take it off. If you NEVER want to remove it, then the Spec isn't for you my friend.

I will back IvanLasston on his suggestion of the BookBook ~ TwelveSouth BookBook 13" MBP. I am buying one this weekend when i go to Perth (Australia), as i have already got myself a BookBook for iP4s and the workmanship and quality of construction follows the path of how Apple like to present their products. TwelveSouth i have bought now a couple of products and there customer service is up there with s as well.
Choose the Red Spine version as it stands out and looks awesome. I have had people think i have a Bible up to my ear or have this Rare book in my presence when they see the BookBook. I don't rave about products in general, because they are just material in the bigger scheme of the universe but TwelveSouth are now officially my goto Company for anything Mac (accessories wise).

Cheers

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What to do what to do....thanks for all the input.

Reaction score
Not attempting to hijack USMCGRUNT's thread, but I also just purchased a MacBook Pro (although, it is 15-inch unlike the OP's) and have been looking around for a case/skin to put on it for general protection.

I saw on the site IvanLasston posted for the BookBook they had these: SurfacePad. I was curious if anyone has any experience with these? Are they easy to remove and replace if needed? The site says so, but I like to hear it from first hand users as well. :)

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ended up ordering the incipio feather. Amazon had it for $32 and free (2) shipping with amazon prime. I'll let everyone know my take on it. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.