Changing battery on MBP?

Reaction score
My MBP is saying I need a battery change soon. I got it in 2009 and my warranty is up in a month or so. Will this be covered under warranty?

If not would it be easy to change it myself?[If I can easily do it, and for cheaper than the mac store I'd love to do it]

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You don't say which specific MBP, but checkout iFixIt's teardown of the 2009 13" MBP and see if that's something you want to do.

Not sure if the Apple warranty covers battery, my guess is no, but I honestly don't know..

OP
F
Reaction score
You don't say which specific MBP, but checkout iFixIt's teardown of the 2009 13" MBP and see if that's something you want to do.

Not sure if the Apple warranty covers battery, my guess is no, but I honestly don't know..
Oh it's a 15 inch.

I did a quick google search and there wasn't much info on it, but what I saw said it wasn't covered. Although I thought it covered everything but damage you did yourself. Which the battery issue isn't caused by me.

Edit: I checked out the site and it seems easy enough. All I have to do it un do two screws right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
does not hurt to take it to apple store check it out, see what they have to say.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Oh it's a 15 inch.

The more important model info would be whether it has a "user replaceable battery"...or the technically (found on newer models) "non-user replaceable battery".

I did a quick google search and there wasn't much info on it, but what I saw said it wasn't covered. Although I thought it covered everything but damage you did yourself. Which the battery issue isn't caused by me.

Applecare covers manufacturing defects only. Following the strict warranty details...the battery is a "consumable"...and not covered under Applecare...UNLESS...it can be shown that a manufacturing defect exists.

Not to say folks haven't been lucky to get a new battery (during the Applecare coverage period)...I have been a lucky person myself in that respect.:) But someone SHOULD NOT expect a free replacement battery with Applecare (without a manufacturing defect).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.