• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HELP PLEASE!! iMovie '09 crashes with no reason!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2009
Since yesterday, every time i try to open iMovie it instantly crashes, right at the moment i click the icon in the dash, i already repaired the Disk, i already installed updates and i already deleted the "com.apple.iMovie.plist" thingy and it keeps crashing without a reason. HELP ME PLEASE!! i really need to use it because i kinda use it for my work. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Found this in this Topic:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...movie-keeps-crashing-can-someone-help-me.html

I have been having the same problem and spoke today with a rep from Apple Care. Here's what he told me. Quit iMovie; go to Computer > Movies and move the iMovie Projects folder to the desktop. Open iMovie; create a new test project using film footage from the Event Library. Try to export it or to do whatever you were doing when it crashed (selecting Titles below a certain row in the Titles window made mine crash as well as exporting). If you do these things and iMovie does not crash, the problem is being caused by a corrupted movie project. (Although the rep wouldn't say so, iMovie is causing the corrupting--and the problem lies with the titles--more on this below.) Just having a corrupted project in the Project Library will make the program crash, even if you are working on a new project. You have to rebuild your file piece by piece, seeing if it exports after each addition to see if the new addition is causing the problem (choose tiny movie because it's quicker). I managed to retrieve all the edited video plus transitions by clicking on a film clip in the corrupted project and selecting all and copying it and importing into a new project (though in between, I had to open and close iMovie to drag that corrupted project back to the desktop because it kept crashing). I discovered that one particular kind of title--Organic Main-- was making the project and program crash--not all of the titles. When I tried to add it back to the rebuilt project, it crashed; when I went to the old file that was corrupted and tried to delete that title, it crashed. When I tried to delete the clip that had that title on it in the old project, it crashed. The transitions I used worked fine (though not sure if all of them would). Music, photos, film clips, etc. all fine. The problem lies with iMovie and it needs a fix! But I was able to rebuild my project--minus the style of title I like--and export it using this method.

C

chas_m

You (DigitalNeverlan) seem to be having a similar problem with MP3 files in another thread. This makes me think there is something up with your system. Try running OnyX or your preferred system maintenance tool (DO NOT use MacKeeper or MacCleaner!!).

OP
DigitalNeverlan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2009
You (DigitalNeverlan) seem to be having a similar problem with MP3 files in another thread. This makes me think there is something up with your system. Try running OnyX or your preferred system maintenance tool (DO NOT use MacKeeper or MacCleaner!!).

Thanks i downloaded it but its asking me for a registration key :( what should i do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
It shouldn't do as it's freeware. Where did you download it from? I just found this on the MacUpdate site:
Derekcurrie commented on 15 Jun 2012
This is a WARNING about a FRAUD 'Onyx' website.

This goes to show you how popular Onyx is for Mac users. If you Google 'Onyx Mac', the TOP result is a SCAM SITE:

Onyx Mac – Instant Download Onyx for Mac OS X
(67.205.60.254)

It lures you into downloading some mysterious scamware called 'SpeedUpMac' that is entirely UNrelated to Onyx. I scanned the DMG file for Mac malware and found none.

This is the MacUpdate site. Try downloading from there:
Download OnyX for Mac - Maintenance and optimization tool. MacUpdate.com

or the developer's site:
Titanium's Software • Home

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Has anyone read the reviews on the app store for iMovie lately? This crashing problem is pretty widespread. :Oops:

Screen Shot 2012-06-23 at 11.44.49 AM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.