MacBook Pro 13 early 2011 running really slowly. Fans running high and temps high.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13: 2.3GHz i5, 10GB RAM, 500GB 7200 HDD With Optibay, 120GB SSD
Hi,
My early 2011 13" MBP has recently been running slowly. I have only got about 15GB free on my harddrive as I have a reasonably large Windows partition. I have heard that a lack in free space can cause the slowing down of any computer and I wondered if this was the case. Also my Mac has been running hot and the fans often kick in. My Mac will often sit around 87-91oC. Is it worth a fresh install of lion and trying to cut out some unused data?
Regards Ollie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
I khad this same issue, i found software running in the background using 200% CPU usage. Check in activity monitor, under Applications/Utilities. Check the fist tab CPU it will show you the amount being used totaled, then you look at the % CPU colum in the list above that and look for what is using it very heavily.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13: 2.3GHz i5, 10GB RAM, 500GB 7200 HDD With Optibay, 120GB SSD
Nothing is really high at the moment. I have noticed before that google chrome has been using 26% when it has been running slow. Other times though the CPU usage is relatively low.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.