Help needed

Reaction score
Last week my 2007 iMac has been encountering performance problems.
After using disk utility I get the message that there's an invalid node structure and that the disk needs to be repaired.

The disk utility was unable to perform the repair, so I reinstalled the OS.
Did all the upgrades and performed the upgrade to Snow Leopard.
But then things started to go wrong completely, mail didn't want to start up, and got a message that the software isn't compatible, did the whole reinstall again, then got a message that Safari isn't compatible with the OS, but mail worked fine again.

So finally I restored everything to factory settings, and did a virus check on my back-up disk:

I got this result: W32.Adware.InstallCore-1 it gets quarantined

So do I have a virus or a broken harddisk?

Help is appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
It's Windows Malware that should have no effect on your machine.

Bill

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Were Safari and Mail the only programs acting a little weird? If so try the following:

1. While in your regular account go into Mail preferences and write down the settings for your e-mail account.
2. From the Users and Group preference pane create a new user account and name it whatever you like.
3.Try launching Safari and see if it behaves correctly. If it is try going to a few sites you visit regularly.
4. If Safari is working now try Mail. You will need to essentially recreate the account information.

If this works then the problem was likely corrupt preference files. Let us know the results and go from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
1. While in your regular account go into Mail preferences and write down the settings for your e-mail account.
2. From the Users and Group preference pane create a new user account and name it whatever you like.
2a. Log out and back in using that new account.
3.Try launching Safari and see if it behaves correctly. If it is try going to a few sites you visit regularly.
4. If Safari is working now try Mail. You will need to essentially recreate the account information.

Right?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
oops. You're right as usual my friend. Color me embarrassed. Thanks buddy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.