USB, Firewire or Thunderbolt Audio interface?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
I am not sure this is the best place for this tread - but - I am looking to up grade the sound in my system. Not looking for super high end - just something with a small subwoofer and otherwise decent clean response for music listening in small room. Don't need tons of volume. I have a MBA and a Thunderbolt Display. Looking for something that would connect to the Thunderbolt Display via usb, firewire or thunderbolt (there is no audio out connector). My wife's old windows system (dell) came with a subwoofer/speaker combo unit for not much money - way less than $100 - something like that, maybe a notch up, is what I have in mind. I am not 100% satisfied with the sound provided in the display. Not listening to a lot of loud rock - more Americana, Folk, Jazz, Bluegrass, Spacegrass, even some classical.

Ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
A USB interface should be more than sufficent. FireWire connections are usually found on interfaces that need more bandwidth (such as 6 channel interfaces aka surround sound). I'm not even sure they make thunderbolt audio interfaces yet and if they do, you can bet that you'll pay a whole lot for it.

If you're planning to run consumer speakers then you're going to want an interface with either RCA outputs or 1/8" mini jack outputs.

XLR and 1/4" jack connections (what most interfaces have) are usually only found on high end studio monitors.

You'll be glad you got the interface. Not only do they provide high quality sound (much better than your MBA could ever produce), but it's really nice having a physical volume knob. I'm sorry but dragging a slider on the screen or pushing a button on the keyboard just isn't the same :)

OP
rpg51
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
Got a specific recommendation for a decent usb interface with rca outputs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Unfortunately no. Not at the moment. I haven't been in the market for an interface for a long time. I would start at eBay though. Also check out sweetwater.com after that.

Maybe someone else can chime in here with a recommendation...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
12South has a subwoofer designed for the Mac line, plugs in via USB I believe. M-Audio, and AudioEngine also has some decent speakers.

OP
rpg51
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will that little 12 south subwoofer enhance the thunderbolt display audio output.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
It should, but I believe the Thunderbolt display has subwoofers.

OP
rpg51
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes it does. But its nothing to write home about. Decent, but not great. I was hoping someone might have tried a subwoofer with the TBD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.