Inverter board or screen replace

82t

Reaction score
Hi

Following helpful responses to a recent post about a dark screen, I'm planning to replace my inverter board - but ifixit articles suggest that often the problem turns out to be with the display screen rather than the inverter. Is there any way I can determine this in advance of replacing either?

Using an external monitor, I can use my laptop as normal for now.

It's a Macbook 13" Intel Core2 Duo, running OS X 10.6.8.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You really can't tell. The inverter is easier and less costly to replace than the LCD. The backlight within the LCD could be defective but it's very difficult to replace. Apple recommends replacing the entire LCD if the backlight is defective. I believe that's why ifixit has suggested changing the LCD. Also, a dark screen could be the result of a bad video cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
Agreed, I repair laptop for a living. The three reasons for a dark screen inverter, screen/backlight, or video card (ordered most common to least common. How I check is I have the back light I pulled from a cracked screen that I will plug into the inverter, leaving everything else connected, it it lights up, it is just the backlight and you replace the screen. You can also sometimes see this coming with a red tinted screen. If the back light does not light up, then I replace the inverter, if still no go, then it is the video card. If youdo not have an old screen to use just the back light I would say first try the inverter they get hot and often fail.

Reaction score
I have the same issue but I can use mine with an external monitor. Would that rule out a bad video card?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have the same issue but I can use mine with an external monitor. Would that rule out a bad video card?

Yes. If the video card were bad, an internal or external display would not work. However, you need to be careful here... because a defective video cable could prevent the internal display from functioning but an external display would not be effected. See my original reply above.

OP

82t

Reaction score
Hi

I've now replaced the inverter board but the problem has not altered. Screen still dark. After replacement I powered off then on and the machine gave a unique long, loud beeping noise (constant for about 2 seconds).

So, now to determine which problem: if a bad video cable, would my dark screen be showing the content but unlit, as it is doing now, or would it be entirely black?

Where to buy the best replacement screen - as good as Apple with paying their price? I think my screen is gloss - it's mirror-like when dark, not matt like a photo finish.

Advice appreciated, thank you all.

OP

82t

Reaction score
Hi

Following on from earlier threads about my dark screen problem ...

I've now replaced the inverter board but the problem has not altered. Screen still dark. After replacement I powered off then on and the machine gave a unique long, loud beeping noise (constant for about 2 seconds).

So, now to determine which problem: if a bad video cable, would my dark screen be showing the content but unlit, as it is doing now, or would it be entirely black?

Where to buy the best replacement screen - as good as Apple without paying their price? I think my screen is gloss - it's mirror-like when dark, not matt like a photo finish.

Advice appreciated, thank you all.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let's not start a new thread. I copied and merged your latest post to your original thread. Continue with the same thread until the problem is resolved.

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

If you can make out images on the screen but it's very dark, it's not a bad video cable. If you replaced the inverter, the next thing would be to replace the LCD itself assuming the backlight is bad.

One thing that's troubling is the long loud beeping noise you experienced. That can usually be traced to logic board problems or memory. I don't think it's memory.

You need to decide how much further you wish to go and how much more money to spend before ordering a new LCD.

OP

82t

Reaction score
Thanks - I started a new thread when the same posting in the original thread had no response after a couple of days (admittedly, the weekend).
Despite the beeping noise, functionality is normal again (via an external monitor). I'll go ahead an order a new LCD. Where in the UK would you shop for one?

Thanks.
82t

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I could recommend several places in the US but know nothing at all about availability in the UK. Be careful when you shop around for a new LCD so that you get an exact replacement. Here in the US it can cost anywhere from $150 to $200 for a replacement 13" LCD for your MacBook. We have many UK members who post in these forums so I'm sure someone will suggest a place to buy the LCD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Thanks - I started a new thread when the same posting in the original thread had no response after a couple of days (admittedly, the weekend).
Despite the beeping noise, functionality is normal again (via an external monitor). I'll go ahead an order a new LCD. Where in the UK would you shop for one?

Thanks.
82t

Most older MacBook failing inverters cause intermittent flickering, as does the short inverter cable. The last few failed LCD's I saw gave a brief flash at power on then nothing.That beeping is odd, especially as the external video is ok. I use 1 of each of the 2 types of displays off scrap MacBooks to confirm 100% the LCD is defective. For DIY LCD replacement, eBay is your best choice, from memory you'll pay about £60.00 for the LCD. Some may give you a cooler blue white, while an Apple part would be spot on. This can be fixed by creating a custom screen profile with a calibrator, Spyder or similar. Apple or an AASP will not sell you an LCD, only fit it for you. Good luck with the repair.

OP

82t

Reaction score
Hi all
Update: new screen, new inverter board, same old problem.

I bought a new screen from LCDS4U - a Northern Ireland based ebay outlet. £69 for a genuine Toshiba screen to replace the Samsung part I removed. It looks like a good unit and the price seems fair.

However, I've installed it and my problem remains - I'm typing this using an external monitor hooked up to my problem macbook. Still no light getting through to the laptop screen. I'm pretty happy that both of my connections to the new screen are sound, and the inverter connector cable only fits one way as far as I could tell (coloured pink and white, the one I removed was black and grey).

I've re-read the thread above and the fact that my laptop works with the external monitor means that the video card is not the problem. Perhaps it is the video cable.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

82t

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Some possibilities, if you can see a dim image and it's a backlight issue, the video cable has nothing to do with it. The backlight voltage is fed into the LCD via 2 wires, often pink and white, from a white plug on the right of the inverter, not via the video cable. Have you substituted the inverter cable? This goes from the logic board, wraps around the hinge shaft, then connects to the left side of the inverter. If that doesn't resolve it, there's a likelihood that the logic board isn't turning on the inverter.

OP

82t

Reaction score
Thanks Steve

My new screen came with the pink and white wire connecting to the right side of the inverter. I have not replaced the inverter cable between logic board and left side of inverter board, so that's my next step (I wish I'd tried this before replacing the screen!). I'll try a new cable there. Thanks for your help.
82t

OP

82t

Reaction score
Hi
Finally, I have ordered and fitted the inverter cable. Same problem.
If the logic board is the issue, is it time for a new machine?
Regards
82t

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.