Mid 2009 Macbook Pro Heat Issues

Reaction score
Hello World,
I'm a fairly mid range user (in terms of how taxing my activity is on a computer) of a Late 2009 13.4" Macbook Pro (the lowest model, with upgraded memory 2 -> 4 GB, running Lion). Being a programmer, I generally multitask with Xcode/Eclipse/Text Wrangler, and a browser open (with mail running in the background).

I have been having some pretty significant issues of my laptop heating up to the point at which it is borderline impossible to use (one of the CPU sensors reached 95 degrees celsius at one point due to Temperature Monitor). It heats up pretty quickly to the high-80s within 15 minutes of booting it up and I invariably have to turn it off and place it one a floor fan to cool off. Additionally, I'm having the same issue of a very loud fan noise which makes it hard to watch videos or stream any media with clarity.

The folks at the genius bar ran their tests on the temperature sensors/cooling system and said that there was no issue with them - they didn't really believe my story, saying that the computer is programmed to shutoff automatically if it indeed gets too hot to use (which it doesn't). Additionally, they said that any heating up is caused by 'excessive strain on the CPU'. Now I may be going out on a limb here, but I'm hard pushed to believe that I'm straining it all that much with just a browser and an IDE open, with mail pinging gmail's IMAP servers every few minutes or so. That said, I suppose it's possible...

Given that I can't count on any genius bar support on the matter, are there any changes I can make on my end to alleviate these issues? It's unusable to the point at which I'm going to need to shuck out >1400 for a new one if this can't be changed :[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
I believe this is normal on a lot of their laptops, the just can't cool all that well. I have a early 2008 that had many problems because of over heating. My MacBook will crank up the fans when I start opening more programs or tabs in Firefox. My suggestion is to know the limit, experiment what amount of programs open will tigger the heating issue. You should also check for updates, they have released updated firmware for many of there laptops, some of these updates might adjust fan control. You could also use a fan control software to bump the fan speed up a little bit, one I have used was SMCfan control.

On a side note, the 13" model only has one fan, it hardware is not as demanding, so one typically is fine. The 15 model has 2 fans, the hardware is more demanding, but the second fan helps so much, with both heat and noise. Also, there is a temperature it will shutoff at, but it is usually so high that any temperature monitor software would read --.

Reaction score
Easy
1. The thermal paste has dried off after 3 years of purchase.
Therefore, what u need to do is ... if u don't have ur Applecare, just open the case, inject the thermal paste between the heatsink and the CPU and GPU
I did this myself, a piece of cake if u had this kinda experience before. Google how to do it, really easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Unless the computer has
- Stopped working
- Caught on fire
- Burned you
It's not overheating. Just heating. Machines get hot when working. Nothing you have described counts as overheating.

Now, certainly it's getting hot. As the Apple people said, this may be due to high CPU activity. What does Activity Monitor say about your CPU utilization?

For that matter, what is the temperature in the room? Is the unit on a flat surface with good air circulation?

Reaction score
Hello World,
I'm a fairly mid range user (in terms of how taxing my activity is on a computer) of a Late 2009 13.4" Macbook Pro (the lowest model, with upgraded memory 2 -> 4 GB, running Lion). Being a programmer, I generally multitask with Xcode/Eclipse/Text Wrangler, and a browser open (with mail running in the background).

I have been having some pretty significant issues of my laptop heating up to the point at which it is borderline impossible to use (one of the CPU sensors reached 95 degrees celsius at one point due to Temperature Monitor). It heats up pretty quickly to the high-80s within 15 minutes of booting it up and I invariably have to turn it off and place it one a floor fan to cool off. Additionally, I'm having the same issue of a very loud fan noise which makes it hard to watch videos or stream any media with clarity.

The folks at the genius bar ran their tests on the temperature sensors/cooling system and said that there was no issue with them - they didn't really believe my story, saying that the computer is programmed to shutoff automatically if it indeed gets too hot to use (which it doesn't). Additionally, they said that any heating up is caused by 'excessive strain on the CPU'. Now I may be going out on a limb here, but I'm hard pushed to believe that I'm straining it all that much with just a browser and an IDE open, with mail pinging gmail's IMAP servers every few minutes or so. That said, I suppose it's possible...

Given that I can't count on any genius bar support on the matter, are there any changes I can make on my end to alleviate these issues? It's unusable to the point at which I'm going to need to shuck out >1400 for a new one if this can't be changed :[

I have the EXACT problem as you! If you're trying out the cooling pasta solution, please let me know if it worked!
Here's my story: https://discussions.apple.com/message/19424147#19424147

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.