Create Windows partition w/o BootCamp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.44 GHz i5 MacBook Pro
Hello everyone, I was wondering if you could make a Windows partition on your Mac like this:

first create an empty disk partition in Disk Utility (MS-FAT)
then reboot and boot my windows XP dvd
then in the windows XP installation format the empty partition to NFTS (or whatever)
and then install Windows XP on that partition?

(sorry for bad English but)
grtz

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, it's possible but requires more work. It's easier to use the Boot Camp assistant. Why do you wish to do it that way?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.44 GHz i5 MacBook Pro
To use bootcamp I have to format my whole Macintosh HD drive (It said so) and to do that I need to boot from my Install DVD, and that one is SL instead of Lion. I don't want to do all those steps, so I thought maybe there would be a way without BootCamp... Do you know how to do it and can you help me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
To use bootcamp I have to format my whole Macintosh HD drive (It said so) and to do that I need to boot from my Install DVD, and that one is SL instead of Lion. I don't want to do all those steps, so I thought maybe there would be a way without BootCamp... Do you know how to do it and can you help me?

What said so?

Here's the latest bootcamp install guide:
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/boot_camp_install-setup_10.7.pdf

Read and follow that and post back with any error messages you get and when they're happening.

However, even once you have a partition you will struggle with XP as it's no longer supported and you will likely run into driver issues.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.44 GHz i5 MacBook Pro
I've already done the fsck -fy technique in Single User mode, so that BootCamp doesn't show the "you have to format your drive"-message anymore. I used BootCamp and now it all works fine! Thank you all for your help anyway!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.