Mid 2012 MBP

Reaction score
Hey all :)

New here, so first of all just saying hi - and secondly, I'll jump right into the question.

I'm looking to purchase either the newly released MacBook Pro (non-retina) or the MacBook Pro Retina display, and I'm having a hard time deciding which is better, and looking for your advice. I'm a web/mobile app developer (long time web dev. but new to mobile dev.), and will spend most of my time with the laptop connected to my Apple Cinema Display, and an external keyboard and mouse, but of course how it performs strictly as a laptop is also quite important.

The Pro's for the Retina display Pro IMO are:
- screen (though less desktop space at optimal settings versus high-res panel option in non-retina)
- compactness
- cooling & quietness (this is based on the fact that I don't think they've re-vamped the cooling on the older-style MBP unibody, and from what I hear the new Retina MBP is very quiet, and the fans don't even spin up at all unless there is continued stress on both the GPU and CPU) **this is 'extremely important' to me, as I have pretty much 0 tolerance for noisy gear
- better speakers/sounds

For the non-retina:
- upgradability (I have a brand new Intel 520 SSD I could throw in there and buy the 750GB 7,2000 rpm drive to use as a spare/storage drive - also, I'd throw in 2x8GB ram sticks)
- I'm assuming this uses a new chipset as well with 6GB/s controller support for SATA?
- built-in Ethernet port

As you can see, I can upgrade the non-retina to be just about exactly the same, for less money spec wise in terms of CPU/GPU/RAM/storage - but does the few improvements, and the much sleeker form factor + retina make it worthwhile for a noticeable difference in cost? Which would you prefer?

The only other thing I'm considering is that I'm going to have to get used to developing sites with high-dpi displays in mind (as well as apps in general) sooner rather than later - so how much would this play into the laptop purchase?

It's a tough decision I think. When you take money into consideration, it makes more of a difference - however with money out of the equation, is the new retina MBP (and the display format itself) the better buy? More future proof perhaps...

Would be awesome to have some really constructive feedback, and also I'd like to know if any of you have had experience with the non-retina MBP as of yet?

Thanks all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
it is a tough decision i know, you already have the ssd and all the good stuff in to upgrade your future mbp,
I would go for the non retina route, noise level is not loud in non retina model, how clear picture can it be on retina display, since you cinema display connected most of the time your eyes will be on the display.
all mid 2011 onwards processor has 6gb/sec controller for sata.
I am sure with your non retina plan and ssd intel 520 supports sata 3, your system will run as fast as the wind blows and on par with retina display model.
Or you can test out the non retina model for 2 weeks or so with all the upgrades see how it works, if okay keep it, if not get the retina display. just my 2 cents.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

I didn't know you could do that with Apple - you can purchase a custom laptop, and if you don't like it return it and upgrade to another?

Reaction score
Which 2x8GB ram sticks will you use? I found OWC's 16gb is expensive. Mid 2012 MBP needs 1.35v memory.

Also for the USB 3.0 port, can I insert the USB 2.0 cable into it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
My personal recommendation for memory is corsair or crucial. Both are very good companies and offer lifetime warranties, but don't cost an arm and a leg. I always order from newegg.com, they are cheap and ship fast, but I believe they only ship to us, so if you are not in the US, then you would have to go elsewhere.

Here is a link to a set I found that should work fine for you. Newegg.com - CORSAIR 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 Laptop Memory Model CMSO16GX3M2A1333C9

I personal would have said to go with the retina display, even if using a cinema display, then there is a Ethernet connection on it, so this would be just like a docking station, unless you have an older model, which is understandable with it's price.

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm not picky about which brand RAM I use, as long as it fits the timing, speed and voltage requirements - probably only a single brand memory circuitry that fits the bill anyhow. I've looked at OWC's and Corsair as well as Crucial. Thanks for the tip on the voltage, I know they need "DDR3L" but hadn't spotted the correct voltage :)

I have the old non-Thunderbolt 27" ACD I just purchased not so long ago for a Mac Pro setup, so no built in Ethernet for me unfortunately. Not like the Ethernet is a big let-down anyhow, the Thunderbolt ethernet adapter is fine for the times I'd need it - though I still wish I had the latest display for the connectivity.

rustyk123, yeah I definitely am liking the retina display no doubt. Do all the little changes warrant the extra $1,000 I'd have to spend versus upgrading a non-retina MBP? I guess at least in terms of web. and app. development, it's nice to have a high-DPI display to actively test/develop on side-by-side as well...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
The Retina model was worth it for me. I am upgrading a old early 2008 Macbook Pro that somehow caught fire? Apple did not want me to how it fixed. I use this for personal use and work use from time to time. I am in the IT field, and personally I use it for video editing and photo editing. I also from time to time do web development. But it is a lot of moving around from one place to another so the weight was a factor as well. The larger resolution screen will make a huge difference for me so I went for it. I have also been without a computer for a month, unless you count the failing macbook I stopped using a few years ago, which can't even convert a HD video file correctly.

I think if you might spend a lot of time mobile, you could make it worth it to you, but if you plan on it being just a desktop that has a mobile option for the very rare times you need it, then it would not be worth it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.