• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

If the entire world had Internet access.....

M

mh10190

If all the people in the world had equal access to the internet, what kind of a world do you think we'll live in.
I heard that by 2010 only 1/4 people on earth will have any access to the web.
Imagine a world were all of its inhabitants had the same access to information and people..
Tell me what you think soceity will be like, better or worse, and why.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
a lot more scammers, fraud, and hacking :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
mh10190 said:
If all the people in the world had equal access to the internet, what kind of a world do you think we'll live in.
I heard that by 2010 only 1/4 people on earth will have any access to the web.
Imagine a world were all of its inhabitants had the same access to information and people..
Tell me what you think soceity will be like, better or worse, and why.

Just because they have access doesn't mean they know how to use it. I am always amazed by the number of people I know who can't even use email. Not that there is anything wrong with that, some people just find this stuff hard.

Biggest change I think would be more people might listen to my podcast.

bone

OP
J

JSchultz

Well, in my perrenialist opinion..

More and more people would have access to medical journals, literature, and e-transcripts of great literary pieces. They would be able to improve their chance of succeeding with an education tenfold. The western canon would be available even to Ethiopians....

Alright, so none of this would really happen. You'd have Nigerian scammers from Ethiopia, Somalia, and maybe even Uzbekistan. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
boneheadz said:
Just because they have access doesn't mean they know how to use it. ........

Exactly. Of the small percentage of people on the Earth who have it now, only a minute portion of that percentage seem to "get it". I am all for someone with a genuine desire to learn, but when people can't grasp the concept of what a mouse is and does...well....
Let's face it, some people have no need and will never have need for the internet. Just because you can do something or have something doesn't mean that you should.

OP
L

liberal123

Some people who don't use internet, don't want to use it because it's a change from what they have always done, and not everyone likes change.

The internet has it's good point, but as with everything it is easily weighed out by bad points, and people are always going to exploit those bad points, If there is an opportunity, they will take it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
I think we'd see a lot more websites in other languages... English would probably become the minority.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.