Change MacBook Pro keyboard?

Reaction score
I would like to get a used 2006 MacBook Pro (MA610LL/A) off of eBay to replace my 2005 Apple iBook G4, because I cannot afford a brand new MacBook Pro and this will still be a MAJOR upgrade!

But..I don't like the keyboard style. I want it to have the spaced-out keys like on the new MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs. The really thin, awesome feeling, key style used in all of Apple's keyboards now. But this MacBook has the old-larger keys like most PCs still use, and like my iBook still has.

If I purchase an old MacBook Pro, is it possible to buy a newer MacBook Pro keyboard (with the spaced backlit keys) and put it in this MacBook (in place of the old keyboard) and it still work? That way I would have an older MacBook, with the new style keyboard? Or will that not work?

Because I saw a 2007 MacBook Pro on eBay that looked just like the 2006, but it had the black spaced new style keyboard? I looked at more 2007s and the rest of them still had the old style keyboard that was the same as the 2006 MacBook Pro, which leads me to believe it is possible to replace the old style keyboard with one belonging to a newer MacBook Pro? Does anyone know if it's possible to do that and it still work? Please let me know! Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If I purchase an old MacBook Pro, is it possible to buy a newer MacBook Pro keyboard (with the spaced backlit keys) and put it in this MacBook (in place of the old keyboard) and it still work? That way I would have an older MacBook, with the new style keyboard? Or will that not work?

Short & simple answer...I'm 99.999% sure it cannot be done. The "silver-keyed" MacBook Pro's & the "black-keyed" MacBook Pro's are totally different designs (old design vs. the Unibody design). So the parts are different...would not fit.

Because I saw a 2007 MacBook Pro on eBay that looked just like the 2006, but it had the black spaced new style keyboard?

I do not believe that the "black" keyboards showed up in Apple laptops until sometime in 2008 (mid to late 2008). So if you saw a 2007 MacBook Pro with black keys...my guess is...it was misidentified as a 2007 model.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.