ATV2 not seeing movies in itunes

Reaction score
I've successfully watched home movies that I saved into the itunes library. I just put some new ones onto my itunes. I can see them and play them on the computer, but the AppleTV on the TV does not see the new ones. What should I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
What are the formats of the the movies in question? While iTunes recognizes and plays a variety of formats, the ATV does not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They are probably .avi or .mpr files (to find out which, right click on the files from Finder and select "Get Info" and you'll be able to tell). iTunes will display and play them but the ATV won't stream or play them. For the ATV they need to be in .m4v or .m4p format. you can use an App like Handbrake to convert them to the correct format. It's free and pretty easy, just use the ATV built in preset.

To see what formats the ATV supports look HERE.

OP
C
Reaction score
I have HandBrake and just tried to convert the first video. It scanned my .mov file and came back with "No valid source found."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I have HandBrake and just tried to convert the first video. It scanned my .mov file and came back with "No valid source found."

I think it needs a source DVD rather than a file in iTunes. Sometimes you may have to mount the .dmg image from the DVD to the desk top by double clicking it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it needs a source DVD rather than a file in iTunes. Sometimes you may have to mount the .dmg image from the DVD to the desk top by double clicking it.

The current version of handbrake will convert files not just DVDs. Obviously something else is causing an issue here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
The current version of handbrake will convert files not just DVDs. Obviously something else is causing an issue here.

I see, my error baggss.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Am I to assume that the video in question plays in Quicktime and iTunes?

OP
C
Reaction score
Still having the hardest time getting these movies to play on AppleTV. Handbrake failed on me. Now I am trying to export the files to Quicktime and I selected "move to AppleTV." Once I hit export for a few minutes of a recording, it says it will take 54 minutes and is exporting right now.

There has to be an easy and quicker way to do this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My guess is there is something odd with the Codec that the camera originally recorded them in. Either is an older codec or something proprietary. It shouldn't be that hard, although QT is a bit slow in encoding by itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.