can't see my card reader

Reaction score
Hi All i am new to iMac after always having windows ... It has confused me so much and in turmoil ... I am still finding out little bits, but have taken photos of my kids and put card reader in slot BUT its not showing that i put card in neither can i view my photos ... Anyone know how to use the card reader and where to locate the card reader Many thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which iMac do you have - year and model? Also, what kind of card reader are you using?

OP
I
Reaction score
Which iMac do you have - year and model? Also, what kind of card reader are you using?

Hi I am using iMac 21.5 and card reader is Sandisk 4gb I have looked through everything on here but can't find anywhere that tells me where the card is to view photos ... I am a novice with iMac as i have always had windows

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you have a late model 21.5 iMac, it should have a built in SD card reader just below the optical drive on the right side. After the card is inserted it should mount on the desktop just like a hard drive. If you have photos on the card, iPhoto will open and offer to import them into its library.

Reaction score
I have a 21 inch imac, OS X 10.6.8 without an inbuilt card reader.

I recently purchased a Kingston MobileLite G2 card reader which, according to the manufacturer, should work on a Mac computer OS X v. 10.3+ However, although the card reader is visible on a PC, it is entirely invisible on my mac.

It does not show up on my desktop, disk utility. I have reset the SMC but it still remains invisible. (A card is installed!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Do you happen to have another cable that you could try? Also, are you going directly into the iMac (via USB, I assume) or are you using a USB hub?

Reaction score
Thank you for your assistance.

The card reader is inserted directly into the imac via a USB port - I have tried all the USB ports.

I have also tried inserting it using a USB cable, the one supplied with the Kingston card reader and two other spare USB cables - still absolutely nothing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Card readers are unpredictable. I've had some that work and others that won't work at all. Get a refund on that card reader and buy a different brand. If your USB ports are OK and the SD card is not damaged, then it has to be the reader. By the way, a card reader will show up on a PC without a card inserted but not on a Mac. The card has to be inserted. Again, if the SD card is OK and can be read on the PC, that leaves the reader. It's probably not compatible with your Mac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have tried 2 different USB card readers here and they have always worked from 10.4 on my old iMac till now with 10.8.5. The main one i use is a SanDisk and it's never had issues with any Mac I have used it with.

I do know of a friend who bought the Kingston and has a Mac Pro with Snow Leopard and it works great he says. Will do some research on that model and get back to you.

Reaction score
Many thanks- all help/suggestions are much appreciated. I have emailed Kingston, but so far the only suggestions made by the company were: insert a card bfore use and to see if the card reader worked in Windows - had already tried both, so no help from the company...

Reaction score
Final update:
Kingston technical people emailed again this morning, the writer only said two things, namely:
could I let him know my mac's OS version, followed by a suggestion that I should request a full refund from the seller.

An unsatisfactory little saga ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.