lion and leopard partitions

Reaction score
A friend upgraded to Lion in order to use an iPad and now cannot run her older PowerPC Filemaker Pro application. Is it possible to create a partition on the HD to install Leopard and the Filemaker application, without erasing the HD, and boot from that partition?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
A friend upgraded to Lion in order to use an iPad and now cannot run her older PowerPC Filemaker Pro application. Is it possible to create a partition on the HD to install Leopard and the Filemaker application, without erasing the HD, and boot from that partition?

If the Mac comes with Leopard on it , yes than it is possible create a second partition without erasing the disk .
Although it is always wise to make a backup first
Start up disk utility .
Be sure that file system is Mac OS X (journaled)
Click on the factory name of the HD option Partition > option + drag the divide line to size you wish .
And than Apply .
It can take some time .
But is Leopard still supported ?
I do not think so

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What Mac is she using (specs). Also you will need to make sure that the Leopard disc you use is the correct one. I think there was one that was PPC only you don't want that.

OP
H
Reaction score
Without erasing/formatting the disk, which is running Lion, can in install Leopard on the new partition, so She can boot in either OS, Lion or Leopard? I successfully created a new partition, but now it says I cannot install Leopard on it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Can't say for sure without knowing which Mac she was/is using. Do you know which Mac she has and what the specs are?

C

chas_m

You know, there's an easier solution ...

... just wait, it will come to you ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.