grey screen on start up after upgrade failed

Reaction score
Hi all

New to the forum as its the first time i've had a mac!!

Generally use a pc but decided to use a mac for my music and browsing after several recommendations (and crashing pc's)

Got hold of a G4 from work and just tried doing a software upgrade. Installed everything ok but when doing the OS X upgrade it got 10% into "writing files" and crashed. Left it alone and it eventually came up with a fail notice and said it needed to be restarted.
Now it just comes up with a grey screen telling me i need to re start (in 4 languages) but does the same everytime I re start.

I don't have any discs and aren't particularly familiar with macs as yet so any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Tets

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What you're seeing is known as a 'kernel panic' (or KP for short). It's roughly analogous to a "blue screen of death" on Windows and usually occurs when there is a hardware problem or the OS install is damaged (which seems likely here - but was probably caused by the former).

It's kind of hard to advise you from here because several Mac models carried the designation of "G4". We need to know a bit more about the machine - in particular, CPU speed, memory, model (PowerBook, PowerMac, Mac Mini, iMac, etc).

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi there

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry other than telling you its a powermac i don't know very much else. Prior to me having it, it was used by our reprographics department at work so it will be a high spec machine (in it's day).

I've just re started it but this time it went grey but then loaded the widgets and normal background but i have no use of the mouse as if it has crashed.

I must add, I was using it perfectly until this upgrade failed which appears to have caused the problem.

Thanks again
Tets

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So, which update did you install exactly?

OP
T
Reaction score
I clicked the software upgrades and it had a list of available upgrades including airport software and a few others which all installed correctly and the one at the bottom of the list was the OS X upgrade which was the one that failed whilst "writing"

forgive me for my ignorance but i am fairly new to macs and thanks again for any assistance

cheers
Tets

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.