Does U.S. iPhone 4 get internet in Europe?

Reaction score
I have a iPhone 4 (not 4S) from AT&T

AT&T will factory unlock it for me before I go to Europe

I have no doubts that it will work for phone calls with a new European SIM

My question is though, will data work? Will I get 3G? Will I get the internet or will I have to be connected to wifi?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
MacWorld Magazine just did an article on using an iPhone outside of the US and Canada. It depends on which country you intend to use the phone in. If service providers there have a 3G network, then you can receive 3G with their sim card. However, not all countries in Europe have 3G service.

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
OK, thankyou for the info.

And just to be sure, they were talking about the iPhone 4 and not the iPhone 4S?

I will be in Italy. All of Italy's providers have 3G.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Actually, they mentioned both the iPhone 4 and 4S but also stated that few countries have LTE (4G). I believe only the UK is implementing it for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I have a iPhone 4 (not 4S) from AT&T

AT&T will factory unlock it for me before I go to Europe

I have no doubts that it will work for phone calls with a new European SIM

My question is though, will data work? Will I get 3G? Will I get the internet or will I have to be connected to wifi?

Thanks.

If they are unlocking it for you then you simply have to put an Italian SIM card in it and that's it!

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.