Default folder views

Reaction score
With Mac OS 10.7, is it possible top set all folders to automatically open in the view in which they were last opened, as used to be the case with older operating systems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
No, I don't think so, if your question is read literally. You can set them up to always open the same way, and they don't all have to be the same, if you know what I mean. However, you can temporarily change the view, and, without switching back to how it was, if you close it, it will open up the next time in the originally viewed arrangement, not the one you temporarily changed it to. So, if "In which they were last opened" means the temporary arrangement, then no.

In other words, you open a window in Arrangement 1 (A1) then change to A2 then change to A3 using right click Arrange By. Now you close it. When you open it again, it will be A1. If however, you change it using Show View Options, it will appear as it was when it was "last opened" as in the last view it was set to before it was closed.

Don't stand up too fast; you might be dizzy now.

OP
R
Reaction score
Many thanks. I think that explains it. I just wish I was bright enough to understand it. Hey **.

OP
R
Reaction score
It was so easy when folders opened in the same view in which you last looked at them. I can't understand why Apple change things just to make them less convenient and more complicated, it just makes the product less attractive. I find I like Apple less and less with every upgrade! They surely are a strange breed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I understand how it occurs, and maybe why. Because of the option to open a new folder but not a new Finder window was added, it all went out the window. That action causes the newly opened folder to replace the "view" in the same Finder window without changing its dimensions. However, I think if you close the Finder window, then open a new one directly to the folder you now wish to view, all its settings will remain intact. You can set Finder to never open a new folder in the current window, like it was in OS9, but then you can end up with dozens of windows open at the same time. That's what the newer method was probably designed to avoid.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.