Adobe Software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Hi Guys.

After reading vwFloydmac's post about his kernel attack, I was wondering if there is any need to have anything Adobe on my machine. I know Apple has it's own version of Java. I also know that I can open PDF files and save them with preview.

These are the Adobe programmes I have found on my iMac:
Adobe Reader
Adobe Flash Player Install Manager
Adobe Air Uninstaller, (Speaks for itself)
Flash Player prefpane.

Is there any absolute need for any of these programmes on my machine.

OP
Gandalph
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My apoligise fellas. I should have stated in the above post that I am off to work in ten minutes and will not be back until 12.00 hrs today.

I look forward to your replies.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would probably get rid of the Adobe Reader since Preview does a much better job in most instances. As for the Flash installer and others, I don't see a reason to remove them.

C

chas_m

Get rid of Air (using the uninstaller) and Adobe Reader. Keep Flash up-to-date.

OP
Gandalph
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Adobe

OK. Will get rid of Adobe reader and Air. Never did see the sense in have Reader as Preview does the job quite nicely.

Many thanks for your replies.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Get rid of Air (using the uninstaller) and Adobe Reader.
I wouldn't go uninstalling AIR without determining whether or not you need it - it could very well be installed because it provides the runtime for an application.

Gandalph, do you have any AIR applications installed on your machine? They would have included an installer that looked like a brown box. Unfortunately, there's not much else to differentiate them because once they're installed, they act like any other applications (although, given the technologies used, they look quite unique). For instance, for whatever reason, quite a few Twitter applications are AIR powered.

You'll probably want to keep Flash installed as well. A majority of video content online depends on it and although more websites are making use of HTML5's video capabilities, Flash still powers most of the video content (it's frequently provided as a fallback for HTML5 powered video content as well).

OP
Gandalph
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've left Air on this machine for the time being. I have removed Adobe reader as I couldn't see the need for it.

Thanks for your input vansmith.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I would probably get rid of the Adobe Reader since Preview does a much better job in most instances. As for the Flash installer and others, I don't see a reason to remove them.

There are, for the record, some PDF's I've had significant problems viewing in Preview. Others may/may not have this issue, but it's cropped up from time to time.

By significant I mean the file is simply unreadable, the rendering is that bad. Happily, however, this has improved much over the past 2-3 years. Then again, I don't have reader installed, because I have Acrobat installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You may need Air if you ever use the BBC iPlayer

OP
Gandalph
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I figured that one out louishen. That is why I left it on. I use iPlayer quite a lot on an evening catching up with my favourite programmes.

Thank you for your input.

C

chas_m

I think the BBC abandoned the AIR version and went native though I could be mistaken.

OP
Gandalph
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just as an Information update on this post I started.

I have found that, as I am now paper-free, my Credit Card company put out E-statements at the end of the Month and they can only be opened with Adobe reader. I haven't found a way of opening them with Preview on-site. They can be opened with Preview after saving them with Adobe Reader.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.