Re-installing Windows 7 issues & windows support software download fail

Reaction score
So after a re-install of Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro, Windows will only start in safe mode, it can not connect to the internet so can not repair automatically and I can not for the life of me download the Windows support software pack through the boot camp assistant. I have tried deleting the all the other connections and switching off Auto Proxy Discovery which is mentioned on most forums but still no joy. Has anyone else experienced or solved the above issues?

Any advise welcome please :\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Boot back to OS X and run the Boot Camp assistant once more. Remove the Windows 7 partition and start over. You can then download the Windows 7 support driver package. What happened to the support software you downloaded the first time you installed Windows 7?

Also, Windows 7 will not repair itself automatically. Not sure what you're referring to...? Repairing Windows 7 is accomplished with the original Windows 7 install disk. However, your problem is that you did not install drivers. A repair won't solve that.

OP
W
Reaction score
Tried all the above, twice! No joy. The support download just stops after around 20% every time, says "can't download windows support software because of a network problem" . Then I looked this up and got the answers re turning off Auto Proxy Discovery, but this was off on my settings anyway. No idea what I did with the first download, must have saved on a drive somewhere and now I cant find it? I have also tried downloading directly from the website - Bootcamp update 3.2 & 3.1 for 64bit windows. When I try to run the .exe file in windows it keeps asking for an earlier version, which is unavailable by the looks. I've tried everything!! Its sending me insane as I'm not great with this stuff.....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Keep trying. The Apple servers have been busy with the redo of the Apple store to add all the new Macs and all the latest updates that were issued a day or two ago. If all else fails.... is there an Apple store nearby? If there is, go there and ask them to download it for you.

OP
W
Reaction score
Seems patience is key. Kept trying, eventually the download worked. Fully functioning fresh Windows installed, all systems go! Thanks for the advise :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK great! Thanks for posting back and letting us know. Enjoy your new Windows installation and visit us often. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.