• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple expected to launch 13" Retina MacBook Pro by early Oct.

Reaction score
Apple expected to launch 13" Retina MacBook Pro by early Oct.

Apple will bring a high-resolution Retina display to its 13-inch MacBook Pro with a product update set to launch this October, according to one insider.
mf.gif

a2t.img

Read more

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Strange as it seems since I have posted a number of "whining" posts about the 15in Retina MBP, I would be interested in this one if the price was right (comparable to the MBA).

EDIT: But, I don't really understand how this fits into the Model line up. Why have both the MBA and 13in Retina MBP?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Here we go! Soon NO MBP with anything Upgradeable. I am tired of hearing people say no notebook ever needs upgrades. Are those people rich and can buy a new $2000 machine as the drop of a hat or something? :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was just saying to my wife last night...that Apple would probably be launching a 13" MBP with retina display next time around...and it may be a good bit more affordable...since a 13" retina display should certainly be less expensive than a 15".:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
But Razor, the MBP is a PRO machine. Pro machines are Appliances with no serviceable parts! :D

Sorry, had to say it.

I wish everyone here could watch a Video I have about the history of the computer. Dead accurate but even more important, Larry Ellison yelling how he HATED the Personal Computer and soon it would be gone and turn into an Internet Connected Appliance with all apps and data in the cloud. The video was in the 90's when Larry said that. Look at today, it's getting close.

His comments were "I HATE THE PC! I have to get into my car and drive all the way to a store and pick up Windows 95 in a cardboard box on a plastic disc, drive all the way home and install the thing. That is Insane! Put the stuff on the Net."

The new MBP and Airs are headed that direction, to the internet appliance. Google is there now with their Chrome OS and Microsoft with Azure following them. :D

Check out Onlive sometime. I was floored. I have the service on my iPad. Flash full speed because it's all done on their end and my iPad is just a terminal. Games full speed on iPad that would choke on most modern PC's. Total cloud. All you need is an appliance on your end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
..Wow.

Just watch the older models start flying off the shelf. People won't want to get stuck with having to buy the new retina display MacBook Air-Pros.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not Buying this Rumor . . . ..

But I might buy the product if it is real.

Seriously, the more I think of it the rumor makes no sense. Without discrete graphics a 13in Retina MBP would essentially be a thicker and (presumably)more costly 13in MBA with a Retina Display.

There is no added function or performance to justify the increase in body thickness if Apple is just going to use Intel 4000 graphics. Bottomline: I think this rumor is wrong. Possibles to my mind are:

1) Retina version of 13in MBA coming out
2) 13in Retina MBP is coming, but with higher specs than stated in rumor (discrete graphics but lower level than 15in perhaps)
3) Pure Smoke and nothing is coming out at this time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Nah dude, you can almost bet on the entire line heading in that exact direction in the next couple of years. In fact, I'll place a friendly $10 wager on that!

Doug

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nah dude, you can almost bet on the entire line heading in that exact direction in the next couple of years. In fact, I'll place a friendly $10 wager on that!

Doug

I will see your $10 and raise you $100! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Reaction score
Walked into the Apple store at the mall, and it was ... confusing.

Couldn't put my finder on it until I stumbled upon this thread.

Retina was 'on it's way' - over here is our new line-up - no logic to that store's setup.

Love my Macbook Air (second gen), but spoke to some teenagers who like smaller screens and they simply weren't buying anything from Apple anytime soon. Retina is out of their price range and they like disc drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro.
I read about the new 15" MBP and what Apple did to it. I have concerns about that. I wonder if the same will be done to the 13" model. Glued batteries, soldered RAM, Apple SSDs only, no optical drive. Probably so.

I don't have any problems with Apple having the strangle hold of the OS it has. I rather like it. It give me a sense of comfort. But I'd like to at least tweak or upgrade my hardware as I see fit. It doesn't seem to be the way Apple is going. And I wonder. I wonder if I'll stay with them.

Well, since I've just purchased an MBP this passed Jan., I'll be using it until my machines craps out. Hopefully I'll have many years of use. But after that... I don't know. I just don't know. This new course Apple is taking does not set well with me.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FWIW here is my guess at what a 13in Retina MBP might look like (minimum spec version)

13-inch Retina display
2.5 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
4GB 1600MHz memory
128GB flash storage
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 256MB of GDDR5 memory

$1,599.00

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
I read about the new 15" MBP and what Apple did to it. I have concerns about that. I wonder if the same will be done to the 13" model. Glued batteries, soldered RAM, Apple SSDs only, no optical drive. Probably so.

I don't have any problems with Apple having the strangle hold of the OS it has. I rather like it. It give me a sense of comfort. But I'd like to at least tweak or upgrade my hardware as I see fit. It doesn't seem to be the way Apple is going. And I wonder. I wonder if I'll stay with them.

Well, since I've just purchased an MBP this passed Jan., I'll be using it until my machines craps out. Hopefully I'll have many years of use. But after that... I don't know. I just don't know. This new course Apple is taking does not set well with me.

Just enjoy the good side of apple product right now. Soldered HD is the downside, as
someone mentioned on the net, 'what if the mbp has to be sent back for repair with soldered hd or kept over few days, how do you keep your privacy ?'

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
. . . 'what if the mbp has to be sent back for repair with soldered hd or kept over few days, how do you keep your privacy ?'

FileVault 2.

But then you have to worry about potential catastrophic data loss (though this is supposedly not quite the issue it was with the original FileVault).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
Just enjoy the good side of apple product right now. Soldered HD is the downside, as someone mentioned on the net, 'what if the mbp has to be sent back for repair with soldered hd or kept over few days, how do you keep your privacy ?'
The new MBP Retina models do not have soldered HDs. This misperception is spreading like wildfire around here. Please help put it out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just enjoy the good side of apple product right now. Soldered HD is the downside, as
someone mentioned on the net, 'what if the mbp has to be sent back for repair with soldered hd or kept over few days, how do you keep your privacy ?'

As already pointed out, the Retina MBP does not utilize a soldered in hard drive. While it's certainly proprietary, it shouldn't be too long before the folks at OWC have something to replace it with.

The memory is soldered in, however.

Reaction score
I'm sorry but If they don't cram a real Graphics card in the 13" MBP, it is just going to be as crappy as the 15" but with different reasons. Especially with my guess they are going to price it as $1500+

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP 16gb ram, 2.3 i7, 500 gb hd, 750 gb hd
Here we go! Soon NO MBP with anything Upgradeable. I am tired of hearing people say no notebook ever needs upgrades. Are those people rich and can buy a new $2000 machine as the drop of a hat or something? :D

I can't go out and buy one at the drop of a hat, but computers around here are a planned purchase. I estimate a computer being in use by me for 3 years and then it is handed off to one of the kids. It looks like the cycle from now on will be buying one computer every 12 to 18 months. The last Windows box in the house is about to die and it's my turn to upgrade. Right now the retina MBP is winning. If I knew for certain they would put out a 13-inch that is significantly cheaper, I'd wait.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.