Is a RAM upgrade possible on my Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a Macbook Pro that's a couple years old now. I'd like to make it run a little faster, but I'm unsure of which route (if any) will yield results. I'm considering a RAM upgrade and/or an OS upgrade. My goals are to speed up my computer for general use (internet surfing, video watching, etc), not for gaming purposes.

I have a Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo/2GB/128MB VRAM/120GB 5400 rpm (that's the label underneath the battery).

I'm running OS X 10.5.8.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you. That's exactly what I needed.

Regarding the second question about whether an OS upgrade would also help (I guess from Leopard to Snow Leopard), are there any opinions about that? Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
Personally I would say with that machine don't upgrade the OS. Upgrades seem to cause it to go slower.

However, if you are up for a complete wipe and reinstall of Snow Leopard, that will help a little.

I would say with that machine, you should stay away from Lion, I had one generation newer, and i just ran slower with lion. And for that machine, Mountain Lion will not run, so beyond that you should be looking at investing in a new machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.