Do I need to make a new recovery disk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
It just dawned on me that my MBP is about 2 years old. I have updated os x 2 or 3 times. Currently using Lion. I back up my files with a online service.

1. Do I need to create a new restore disk? That takes all the updates I have done into account. All I have is the original one that came with the system.

2. Are there instructions somewhere how to create this disk? If I need to do this.

3. Do you need to create a new restore disk only after a os x upgrade?

4. Should I just wait for Mountain Lion to come out next month and do it then?

Thanks

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info ycl1688. I'll do this when I upgrade.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
With regard to question 3 here's my two cents on that matter FWIW. The cloning process is not complicated and you can generally start it going and walk away for a bit or keep working. My suggestion would be to update the clone any time you make a significant change to the system such as OS updates or software that would otherwise be a pain in the rear to reinstall.

Edit: If you are going to wait for Mountain Lion before doing anything may I suggest cloning your system before installing Mountain Lion. That way if something goes wrong or you don't like Mountain Lion you can "roll back" to something you like better.

Once you have made the clone boot from it and make sure things are working. It does not happen often but I had a clone go bad that I could not boot from when I needed it. Didn't discover that until it was too late.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Guess I'm not up on the clone thing. Do I need to buy a external drive to do this with? Is USB HD ok. Any one that you would recommend? What software would be best to do this with?

I actually think this is not a bad idea. If I wanted to change HD's or I messed mine up tinkering. I could just put in a new one and clone it. I like to tinker.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As a fellow tinkerer I can tell you a clone is a good idea. In the event of hard drive problems you can boot from the clone and continue working till you can either repair/replaice your main drive. Yes generally you will want to put a clone on an external hard drive. I'm working on a post for our blog about cloning as part of a series about backups in general. Stay tuned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
use the carbon copy clone via internet to clone your internal drive, you can buy an external drive adapter and buy a hard drive (bare one) to back up.
Seagate, samsung, WD are good ones, It is inexpensive with maybe 750gb or higher should be enough. It is boot able via CCC (carbon copy clone). back up maybe once a week.
Should there be any mishap just replace the drive.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a firewire 800 conector on my MBP. I will look for a drive that can use firewire today. Glad we had this conversation. All sounds like solid ideas.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should be able to find a drive enclosure that does firewire 800 2with no problem. I know Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC has them. In a bind though your Mac should also be able to boot off of Firewire 400 drives (using a 800 to 400 cable) or USB. Either of these will be slower than Firewire 800 though.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ordered a EHD from OWC today. Firewire 800/400. After a day of reading they seem to have the best option. OWC includes 800 cable and CCC software with there EHD. Good price for the total package.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.