iTunes

Reaction score
In iTunes I want my music sorted by the year the song/album came out, how do I set it up so I don't have to sort it each time I get back into iTunes?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
One way of doing this is to go to the toolbar and Click on View/Options. From the list of options check "Release Date".

This will put the release date of all your music (if known) on the top bar along with Artist, Composer etc. By Clicking and Holding on "Release Date" you can move it to left or right and place it to suit your convenience.

When you open iTunes, just Click on "Release Date" and all your tunes will be listed in date order. You can decide whether you want oldest or most recent date at the top.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Ian,

I do that now, didn't know if there was a way to have it sorted that way all the time. Like after I close iTunes and re open it I don't have to sort it again. But thank you for your help.

Marshall

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Marshall

I was trying to test out a way of doing this using "Smart Playlist". Whilst one can sort by songs by Date Added & Date Modified, I couldn't find a means of sorting by Release Date. But I don't use smart playlists that much & I may be missing something.

Good luck. Hopefully others will chime in.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro: 2.3Ghz i5 Processer, 8GB RAM, OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD
I played around with iTunes and didn't find anything. I did have an idea though. What if at the beginning of the album name you put the year it was released? Then if you click 'album' at the top it will sort your songs by the name of the album which will have the year it was realsed. So it will be sorted by the year you put.

Hope this works for you!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I was able to do this with a Smart Playlist though it does have one annoyance that I think cab be fixed. The annoyance is that you have to select the smart playlist each time iTunes is launched.

Set up a Smart Playlist with Year is greater than followed by the year you want the kist to start. I chose 1900 so I would be sure to catch everything. Turn live updating on so you don't have to adjust the list each time new music is added.

I think the problem of needing to select the apart playlist can be solved with Automator. It should be possible to create an app that launches iTunes then selects that Smart Playlist. I used to have a workflow that did this with a playlist that excluded Holiday music. I'll test it in Lion later and post results.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.