Mac book pro 15 retina

Reaction score
Hi i am looking to get my first macbook pro 15 retina. I have been waiting for the new model and now that it is here i have read that parts cannot be replaced or repaired such as battery etc. It is for business purposes and i am concerned if in case something fails. Also if the battery fails is the new mbp is it still able to be powered via power adaptor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I don't think any of us REALLY know, that said.. the current design is that without a battery the machine will throttle the processor down. Why? Well, 85w isn't enough really.. so it uses the battery to supplement when needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP macOS Big Sur....iPad Air 2 64gB....iPhone 8+
I'm upset that they won't be offering this in the 17 inch model.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can still buy the 17" MacBook Pro, but not from Apple direct. Many authorized Apple retailers still have the 17" model in stock. Unless you really want a non-upgradeable MacBook Pro with a retina display, the 17" 2011 MBP is a fine machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP macOS Big Sur....iPad Air 2 64gB....iPhone 8+
I currently have a 17 inch. Sorry for the confusion. I meant I am upset that there will no longer be a 17 inch with the new retina display being made.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
The new MacBook pro comes apart into about 12 or 13 pieces, those pieces can be replaced. The issue is upgrading, if you buy the 8GB RAM Model, and decide later you need 16GB, you have to purchase a new system, the RAM is soldered on the logic board. The SSD is replaceable, the Battery is replaceable, the screen is replaceable, etc. the thing to keep in mind is that if a problem happens out of warranty, it will be more expensive to repair, due to most of the parts being combined and that all the parts used are more expensive to begin with.

Personally, I went for the new model, I went 2 months without a computer, I felt I deserved that, me being in the IT field and not owning a working computer. My last MacBook Pro failed on me and apple recommended replacing the whole computer, they were not sure what caused it to catch fire, so that seemed safer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.