Can I re-install Windows OEM in Bootcamp without loosing licence?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have Window 7 OEM version installed on my Macbook Pro. I need to do a clean reinstall through bootcamp due to some software issues and to increase the partition size. I didn't set a back up point when I first installed so can't restore that way. Just concerned that if I run the install through bootcamp that because its an OEM version it might not work again and I will loose my license. I get to the point where it asks me to delete Windows 7 on the partition and then back out. Has anyone ever re-installed their Windows OEM copy through bootcamp successfully. I can't seem to find my answer anywhere and am too worried to try?! Any advise welcome :)

C

chas_m

"Lose/losing" and "loose/loosing" are two different things. Not important as I understood what you meant, but thought you would want to know for future reference.

An OEM copy should be able to be re-installed without issue, but we can't be sure because we don't know where you obtained the disc from or if you actually have the right to be using that. It's possible you'll need to call MS and explain the situation if it doesn't work. If it's a legit disc you bought from a legit reseller, they're likely to re-authorize if needed.

MS doesn't care if you use Windows on a Mac or a PC, it's still a sale to them. They only care about piracy and whether you have the right license.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
An OEM Windows is tied to the hardware it was installed on. If you are Reinstalling on the SAME hardware the same way (Bootcamp) I can't see why it won't work.

Is your copy a legal Windows 7 OEM?

It's when you try to install an already installed and activated OEM copy on different hardware that you will run into issues.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks people, yes completely legal copy. I was just worried to try as I heard you can only use OEM once. I have re-installed, just having problems now as windows keeps stating up in safe mode, this happened initially when I installed but after a reboot it sorted itself out. It now can't find any networks so I can't connect to internet although MAC OS is fine?! May have something to do with the drivers as the support package would not download. Any quick fixes for this??

Also chas_m thanks for the English lesson, sometimes fingers slip! ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.