Java problem. It says it isn't enabled, but it is

Reaction score
I can't access anything that is java based. It says 'java is not enabled'. I checked in my browser preferences, and it is. This happens on both Safari and Firefox. I am using 10.5.8

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
You could try going to Applications/Utilities/Java preferences. There should be two or more statements such as Java SE 6. The boxes adjacent to all of these need to be checked for Java to work.

By the way, do make sure that all software updates have been downloaded because recent ones included Java protection.

Ian

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Ian. I tried that and there was one that wasn't checked. I checked it and still no luck in it working :S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
It might simply have to do with the fact that OSX has its own implementation of Java that doesn't seem to correspond with Sun's "more" official version, I guess is how I'd word it. Case in point, for my part-time job, I have to go online to enter my payroll time. Ever since I upgraded to Lion, the payroll system has insisted that I don't have Java installed, even though it's enabled, up-to-date, and works with other sites. The anomaly also caused me a lot of annoyance when I was working on a Java pet project only to find that the Mac implementation of Java doesn't support changing the color of a button; makes me wonder what else Mac's Java doesn't support.

OP
R
Reaction score
The thing is, I haven't changed anything. And java doesn't seem to work on any site. This is really frustrating as I need it for my stock trading software :S

OP
R
Reaction score
It says this: Mac Users:Use the Software Update feature (available on the Apple menu) to check that you have the most up-to-date version of Java for your Mac.

But I have done that and I am up to date.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There are two ways to disable/enable Java in browsers - the system wide preferences mentioned by IWT and the browser specific preferences:
- In Firefox, go to Tools > Add-ons > Plugins. Find the Java applet plugin in that list and make sure it's enabled
- In Safari, go to Preferences > Security. Make sure "Enable Java" is checked.

The anomaly also caused me a lot of annoyance when I was working on a Java pet project only to find that the Mac implementation of Java doesn't support changing the color of a button; makes me wonder what else Mac's Java doesn't support.
I think that might be because Apple "Cocoa-ifies" Swing in their version. I remember reading a while back that Apple wanted control over the Java releases because they wanted Java to integrate well with OS X (this was back when Apple cared about Java).

Reaction score
Just curious, is this box checked in Java preferences?

If not, check it and restart your browser.

Java Preferences.jpg

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Did you check the browsers?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.