Imac Vs. Tower

Reaction score
In the market for a new computer, work as a pro photographer, but am torn between a new IMac or a Tower? Pros and Cons?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In the market for a new computer, work as a pro photographer, but am torn between a new IMac or a Tower? Pros and Cons?

Have you compared the prices...that's a great place to start!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 4S 32g, Imac Dual core 8gb ram, Ipad1 64gb, Apple TV 2gen, 2009 Macbook 3gb duo
Great point Nick, but if you are looking for more performance and have a big budget then by all means go with the tower but the Imac is still a great machine and should be perfect for a pro photographer. Also with the tower you will have to pay a separate price for a screen ($999 if you buy one from Apple), the Imac is a all in one machine

Reaction score
I have an iMac i7 with 8G of ram and it is great for what you want to use it for. I have the Nikon D800 with 36MP and huge files that transfer very fast into LightRoom. It has no problem processing the files and very little delay when applying your changes to the files.

I have imported more than 500 D800 files at at time with no noticeable performance issues. I use PhotoShop Elements and not the full program but it is very fast with these huge files as well.

If you don't need more power than this then the iMac is a great machine for your needs.

Cheers,
Monte

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.