iOS 6 rip off...

Reaction score
Well, I'm a big Apple fan (not a crazy fanboy, just have a number of their products and think they're cool basically) but today I'm (for the first time ever really) really ticked off with Apple. Before I go any further I'll make it clear that if someone wants to disagree with what I'm saying then fine, but my opinion isn't going to change.
I was looking forward to seeing the new stuff mentioned in WWDC on Monday, and it all looked good to me as usual. "Great I thought, I'll put Mountain Lion on my MacBook Pro when it's released, I'll put iOS 6 on my iPhone 4 (and my gf's) and my iPad 1. And then I'll benefit from all these cool features!"
Some features I think I'm going to love are; FaceTime over 3G, Flyover, but the biggie - Sat Nav in Maps! Can't wait!!!!
Well, after more reading today, it looks like I'm going to have to wait. A long time. For apparently no reason whatsoever. Because I have an iPhone 4. Not an iPhone 4s. This is absolutely crazy, and seems really cruel and unfair. I ploughed a lot of money in to Apple products BECAUSE they support the devices for so long with free upgrades. But now key features are being limited to only the latest device and I just can't get over how unfair this seems.
To make matters much worse, and some of you can guess what I'm going to say already, I've also just found out that my iPad 1, doesn't even qualify for the ENTIRE iOS 6 upgrade. I'm stuck forever with iOS 5. So I literally can't ever benefit from any of the iOS 6 features unless I buy an iPad 2 or 3 (sorry, "the new iPad"...).

My gripe isn't actually that I can't use the new features themselves, I'm sure I'll live without iCloud Tabs on the iPad, and never seeing Flyover on my phone...
My issues comes with the fact that my devices are pretty flipping recent, and they cost an awful lot of money. Part of the reason I spend that amount of money on devices like iPhones and iPads is because Apple have always been a company that has the right attitude towards supporting loyal customers.
This is going to tick a lot of people in the same situation as right off. This is a very bad move from Apple and I'm expecting there will be quite a big backlash from it...

Any thoughts from anyone else on this?

Before I sign off - yes, I know Apple don't sell the iPad 1 anymore so "why should they support a device they don't make?" Well, the answer is simple, "this is why!!!!" Because like me, and theres a lot of us, are going to really hate being cut-off like this, effectively forced to spend loads more cash on upgrading.
And, yes, I appreciate that some features in iOS 6 require better hardware to run, but the least they could do is mention it at the WWDC and not let people find out the hard way. It's so unlike Apple to do this. It's almost like you can see the effects of Steve Jobs not being at the helm anymore seeping through already....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My issues comes with the fact that my devices are pretty flipping recent, and they cost an awful lot of money. Part of the reason I spend that amount of money on devices like iPhones and iPads is because Apple have always been a company that has the right attitude towards supporting loyal customers.

Thoughts...yes. Obviously you haven't been a Apple/Macintosh user for very long. This sort of thing happens all the time. Sometimes it "stinks" when it does...but it's certainly not the first time.

This is what happens when you "run" with a company that likes to:

- introduce new technologies
- push the envelope
- eliminate older technologies.

You got to take the good with the bad!:) If you like a more conservative & safe approach to technology...there are certainly less innovative companies out there looking for your $$$.;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's so unlike Apple to do this. It's almost like you can see the effects of Steve Jobs not being at the helm anymore seeping through already....

Ooh...I had to comment on this as well...you couldn't be more wrong!

One quick example. Ask anyone who had or still has a PPC based Apple computer. When Intel-based computers and OS 10.6 were released...ask them how they feel/felt when they were no longer going to get OS updates.

This is just one example. There are MANY more...and yes...Steve Jobs was in charge!!!;)

- Nick

p.s. On the positive side. Apple used to charge $99-$129 dollars for OS updates for Apple computers. But...ever since OS 10.6...the OS upgrade prices have been VERY reasonable:

- 10.6 = $29.00
- 10.7 = $29.99
- 10.8 = $19.99

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Well I get the gripe because it's the first time that I've been caught out. I bought an iPhone 4 just 12 months ago and it grates a little.

That said if there ever was a truer example of the saying 'If it were not for blinds it would be curtains for us all" then read this article

WWDC: Apple highlights Android fragmentation - Telegraph

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I get the gripe because it's the first time that I've been caught out. I bought an iPhone 4 just 12 months ago and it grates a little.

Gripes are totally understandable.:) If you "hang-out" with Apple long enough...eventually things like this happen.:( It's the price we pay for being loyal to such an innovative company.

Sometimes when Apple makes/announces lots of changes (such as at this years WWDC)...folks may walk away (wiping the sweat from their brows)...that the changes didn't effect them. And then other folks walk away (red-faced and upset) when the changes did effect them.

The only 'Apple folks" who don't get caught up in this sort of thing...are those who are constantly upgrading to the latest & greatest hardware.

Of course they're paying for it...since always upgrading hardware can be VERY expensive. Via both the cost of new hardware...and the rapid depreciation of old hardware (when you try to sell it, or just toss it in the corner).

One VERY important last thought to consider...no one says that anyone has to immediately update to the latest OS. Whether it be OS 10.8 Mountain Lion for computers...or iOS 6 for other devices.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well said Nick :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Ya know... It wouldn't be so bad if the telco's stopped being so greedy and went back to the older model of contracts lasting for one year only. Because as it stands, new phones are being released this way. But if you spent between $216 and $430 for a subsidized phone and its full feature set was only good for ONE year, then you are being ripped off in a way. Maybe you'd be lucky and get an "early upgrade", but you're still paying more than you would for an full upgrade.

And as far as the iPad upgrade path goes, I find it to be quite unfair as well. I think we all know that the iPad 2 is capable of running Siri, or heck.. dictation at the very least! So the whole thing about fragmentation on the Android platform, seems to be the way things are going with iOS as well I'm afraid.

Doug

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Being a Macintosh/Apple person since 1986...I've been burned/disappointed/upset MANY MANY times.:(...but I got over it!;)

This doesn't mean in any way that I regret making Apple/Macintosh my computer/electronics/OS choice...far from it!!!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And as far as the iPad upgrade path goes, I find it to be quite unfair as well. I think we all know that the iPad 2 is capable of running Siri, or heck.. dictation at the very least!

My theory...just wait.;) Apple is going to announce that SIRI is only compatible with the iPad "3" initially...to help drive sales of iPad 3's. Once iPad 3 sales have slowed...then Apple will release SIRI for the iPad 2 (they make more $$$ this way).

I remember a situation with the iPod Touch, 2nd gen. Initially it wasn't capable of bluetooth. The iPod Touch 3rd gen. came out...and it was bluetooth capable. Eventually Apple released a firmware update that "unlocked" the iPod Touch 2nd gen. bluetooth capabilities (although the bluetooth abilities of the iPOD Touch 2nd gen. were limited).

If Apple immediately made SIRI compatible with iPad 2's...then a lot of iPad 2 owners would have a lot less reason to upgrade to an iPad 3. Many folks won't agree with this "strategy"...but business is business. This is just one reason why Apple's stock price continues to go thru the roof (smart business decisions).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I am sitting here on this one as my iPad 1 was only going to be replaced when 1 of 2 things happened.
1. the latest iOS would not run, iOS6 in this case.
2. Baldur's Gate, when released, wont run on an iPad 1. It hasn't been released yet.

Looks like this fall, I will be saving up for an iPad 3 or holding for the next. dunno yet. may still hold out for BG.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Late 2010 Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz 8Gb 250 HD/ibook G3/ 2 ipods
I got into the iPod game kind of late, started with the gen. 3 64gb in early 2010. and as much as i love the thing. After upgrades to iOS 5 dot something, it's s l o w. Using it at work for inventory and switching between Apps and game I know with a new iOS this thing would be a brick. The upside with Apple will always be the resale!!! I payed $ 365. two year ago and there selling from $ 200 to $ 300 online. Swipe it, List it, and buy a new one. maybe the way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
It does suck when Tech companies don't upgrade older devices even though they could run the upgrade. Case in point - Siri the app was working since the 3GS - and it has been put back to the iPhone 4 through jailbreaks. So from a technology standpoint there is no reason that older phones can't run Siri - it's just that Apple wants you to upgrade. That being said - so does everyone else. If you think the grass is greener somewhere else - check out this article on Android fragmentation
Android fragmentation gets visualized [infographic]
It is even worse because some devices were PROMISED upgrades when they came out - and now are not getting them.

Unfortunately the norm with cellphones is to upgrade every 2 years and the smartphone makers hopped onto that cycle with great success.

To quote Tyler Durden
You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your f-ing khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing cr*p of the world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
My take on this I am sure they did testing on the older gear and for some reason the experience did not measure up so rather than take a publicity hit by the droves about how its sluggish or below standard they simply just omit it from the upgrade.
i have an iPad 1 and would have liked the bump but at the same time why should they soften the upgrade so everyone can have it, i am for tech moving on and if it has something I need/want then upgrade is the only path.
Just look what happened in the PC camp ,sure its Windows 7 compatible but it runs like a turtle so then they offered Windows 7 Starter and what happened the forums went nuts with posting half baked OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I can understand the frustration too (there are iPhone4s, a 3GS and an iPad 1 in the family estate)

But I can also understand that while we'd all like Apple to give us these new features across any capable device the bottom line is that they make their money from hardware. They need to push exclusive features into new kit to drive sales. You only need to look at the year on year sales growth for iPhone and iPad to see that it's a business model that's working for them.

As a side note there are free turn-by-turn navigation apps out there if that a killer feature for you.

C

chas_m

Wait -- what?

I'm not sure I understand your complaint then. If you'd bought an iPhone 4 12 *days* ago I would get it -- but a YEAR ago? If you're in the US you are already halfway through your contract and by the time iOS 6 comes out you'll be 9 months to finish, but the time they get the kinks worked out you'll be six months to finish, and by the time you're done with your contract you'll be eligible for the iPhone 6 with iOS 7!

Relax and enjoy what you have!

#firstworldproblems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I've had my iPhone 4 for just three weeks. Where does it say i won't be able to get iOS6?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I've had my iPhone 4 for just three weeks. Where does it say i won't be able to get iOS6?

It doesn't say you won't get iOS6. Just some features are model specific (4s or new iPad only)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wait -- what?

I'm not sure I understand your complaint then. If you'd bought an iPhone 4 12 *days* ago I would get it -- but a YEAR ago? If you're in the US you are already halfway through your contract and by the time iOS 6 comes out you'll be 9 months to finish, but the time they get the kinks worked out you'll be six months to finish, and by the time you're done with your contract you'll be eligible for the iPhone 6 with iOS 7!

Relax and enjoy what you have!

#firstworldproblems

It's not a complaint just a gripe and if you can't understand the difference then no problem with me pal. :D ...worse things have happened at sea.

I'm on Treasure Island... sorry the UK... as you can see. 2 iOS upgrades within a 12 month period one of which won't fully work on a relatively new 'full model' phone is borderline hubris.

I can live with it.. the current maps app is fine and the Get Directions function in Google Maps is great for a printed route planner or a quick check on the phone.

Reaction score
Well, I'm a big Apple fan (not a crazy fanboy, just have a number of their products and think they're cool basically) but today I'm (for the first time ever really) really ticked off with Apple. Before I go any further I'll make it clear that if someone wants to disagree with what I'm saying then fine, but my opinion isn't going to change.
I was looking forward to seeing the new stuff mentioned in WWDC on Monday, and it all looked good to me as usual. "Great I thought, I'll put Mountain Lion on my MacBook Pro when it's released, I'll put iOS 6 on my iPhone 4 (and my gf's) and my iPad 1. And then I'll benefit from all these cool features!"
Some features I think I'm going to love are; FaceTime over 3G, Flyover, but the biggie - Sat Nav in Maps! Can't wait!!!!
Well, after more reading today, it looks like I'm going to have to wait. A long time. For apparently no reason whatsoever. Because I have an iPhone 4. Not an iPhone 4s. This is absolutely crazy, and seems really cruel and unfair. I ploughed a lot of money in to Apple products BECAUSE they support the devices for so long with free upgrades. But now key features are being limited to only the latest device and I just can't get over how unfair this seems.
To make matters much worse, and some of you can guess what I'm going to say already, I've also just found out that my iPad 1, doesn't even qualify for the ENTIRE iOS 6 upgrade. I'm stuck forever with iOS 5. So I literally can't ever benefit from any of the iOS 6 features unless I buy an iPad 2 or 3 (sorry, "the new iPad"...).

My gripe isn't actually that I can't use the new features themselves, I'm sure I'll live without iCloud Tabs on the iPad, and never seeing Flyover on my phone...
This is going to tick a lot of people in the same situation as right off. This is a very bad move from Apple and I'm expecting there will be quite a big backlash from it...

Before I sign off - yes, I know Apple don't sell the iPad 1 anymore so "why should they support a device they don't make?" Well, the answer is simple, "this is why!!!!" Because like me, and theres a lot of us, are going to really hate being cut-off like this, effectively forced to spend loads more cash on upgrading.
And, yes, I appreciate that some features in iOS 6 require better hardware to run, but the least they could do is mention it at the WWDC and not let people find out the hard way. It's so unlike Apple to do this. It's almost like you can see the effects of Steve Jobs not being at the helm anymore seeping through already....

Finally someone agrees with me... I think it's ridiculous

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.