Hard Drive swap from 15" to 17" macbook pro

Reaction score
I would like to swap my Hard Drive from my 15" macbook pro (2.33ghz 2gb ram 500gb hdd) to my 17" macbook pro (2.33ghz 4gb ram 500gb hdd) and just be able to use it. Both macbook pros are of the same generation (DVI out on the right side) Is this possible or do I have to enter the Activation codes for all the software every time i swap. I have heard that it will just work. I have also heard that I need to match the IP addresses of the notebooks and then it will work. I am working on an idea for a product and if this works it will be sweet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you for your time.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've done it...it works.:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
did you have to reactivate any software

was all the software activated or did you have to reactivate any?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
was all the software activated or did you have to reactivate any?

Already answered above.:)

The IP address thing you mentioned above makes no sense...since IP address are always changing depending where you are.

Also...even if you did need to reactivate everything...no big deal...since you have all of the activation codes...right?? All of the software was purchased by you...and is legal...right??

Just do the HD swap...then see what happens. It has always worked fine for me.:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
activation codes

have all the codes but don't have the time or internet where i will be. that is why i am asking very specific questions.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
have all the codes but don't have the time or internet where i will be. that is why i am asking very specific questions.

With the situation you've described (two MBP's very similar in vintage)...all I can tell you is that when I've done this HD swap...and everything worked fine.

Beyond this...you've just got to do the swap yourself...launch all the apps. you're concerned about...to verify operation. If for some reason something doesn't work...then you either manually enter the code(s)...or swap the HD back to the original computer.

It's a reversible process...so there is no risk. Just do it!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It works perfectly. I can swap drives and all is well. thank you for your help.

jeff

AWESOME...it's great to hear that everything went well!:)

Thanks for the update,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.