SSD sizes

Reaction score
Hi,

After this weeks announcements, I think I may well cave in and buy my first mac. I've changed my mind from a mini to a MacBook air, given I think having the portability will be useful.

I'm slowly working through my list of questions, as this will replace a family PC, but I'm a bit stumped on the storage option.

What I currently have is a synology NAS with 2x1TB in a RAID config so effectively giving me 1TB. I also have a newish laptop I do my photo editing on, with 1TB and space for an SSD I'm promising it, so as long as I condition the rest of the family to use the NAS for docs and the like, actual created files shouldn't be an issue.

What bothers me more is how much room OSX and the apps will need, especially as I'm guessing we will see a big jump in app footprints with retina capability like how my iPad apps have gone up?

What I expect initially to install is the iWork suite, omnifocus (quite cheap with education deals at the moment) and whatever drivers/apps I need for existing stuff such as my garmin GPS, etc.

So, will 128gb be too little, and should I be springing for the top of the pile 256gb? Can I install and run apps from say a fast USB3.0 or thunderbolt device down the line if I need to?
Whilst I can get a good deal with an education discount, I'm still reticent to spend money on storage if I don't really need to!

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
storage 256k will be a better choice, since the drive is soldered to the board, you cannot upgrade it. It is set in stone, no changes can be made.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What bothers me more is how much room OSX and the apps will need, especially as I'm guessing we will see a big jump in app footprints with retina capability like how my iPad apps have gone up?

What also needs to be considered is...the storage space in the new MacBook Pro with retina display CANNOT be upgraded after purchase. So you have to purchase as much as possible up front (which means estimating for future storage needs).

Not only is the new MBP with retina display expensive...but storage is expensive as well. So since the ram & storage in the retina display MBP cannot be upgraded after purchase...it's going to be one BIG ticket item!

In my opinion...128gig of storage isn't enough...and future storage needs will most likely be more demanding (apps & OS's almost always get larger over time). So getting more than 128gig is probably a good idea.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks both, so does this mean then that it's going to be a no-no to run apps off an external drive?

I guess I knew 256gb was going to be the answer. I fell foul of this with my first iPad being only a 16gb. Now got the 64gb one...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Running applications from an external hard drive can be disappointing and especially slow. It means that you have to drag the external drive along with your machine and programs will run at the rate of the external bus rather than the internal one. Unless you're in the mood financially to spend big bucks on an external Thunderbolt drive and cable, you would be better off spending that on a larger internal drive.

I'm not even sure that a 256 GB internal drive is going to be large enough with the way new software keeps expanding to take up more and more drive space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Storage in the new MacBook Pros and Airs currently cannot be upgraded. But I bet OWC will be creating replacement drives soon. They are already working on solutions for it.

C

chas_m

What also needs to be considered is...the storage space in the new MacBook Pro with retina display CANNOT be upgraded after purchase.

1. We aren't talking about the Retina MacBook Pro. We're talking about the Air, and in the Air the SSD *can* be upgraded.

2. The teardown of the Retina MacBook Pro suggests you MAY be wrong about it as well: Teardown: Retina MacBook Pro is 'least repairable laptop" | Electronista

FTA: "The computer's SSD normally can't be upgraded either, although iFixit says it does hope to offer an upgrade for the part, which exists as a separate daughtercard."

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
1. We aren't talking about the Retina MacBook Pro. We're talking about the Air, and in the Air the SSD *can* be upgraded.

Yeah...your right. But it doesn't hurt to be proactive. We've been getting so many of these questions since Monday's announcements.

2. The teardown of the Retina MacBook Pro suggests you MAY be wrong about it as well:

This may be true at some time in the future...but at this point we have to answer questions based on the facts that we have at this moment. And at this very moment...we're being told that upgrading is not possible.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

I do not think all the new Air after the 2012 WWDC cab be upgraded by the owners, have flash storage same as 15 mbp retina display.
check the link Apple - Why You

C

chas_m

Nope. The new MacBook Air SSDs can be upgraded, according to iFixit.com (and they ought to know).

MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 Teardown - iFixit

There are at present no replacement drives yet available, but they CAN be upgraded once those appear (and you KNOW someone at OWC is spending sleepless nights making that happen).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Nope. The new MacBook Air SSDs can be upgraded, according to iFixit.com (and they ought to know).

MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 Teardown - iFixit

There are at present no replacement drives yet available, but they CAN be upgraded once those appear (and you KNOW someone at OWC is spending sleepless nights making that happen).
Pray to the almighty better for owc to do something, Better be.
Someone twittered on ifixit 'imagine a pro user having to ship back the MacBook Pro for repairs with all the data soldered onto the motherboard! FAIL!'

C

chas_m

Pray to the almighty better for owc to do something, Better be.
Someone twittered on ifixit 'imagine a pro user having to ship back the MacBook Pro for repairs with all the data soldered onto the motherboard! FAIL!'

Well:

1. Anybody sensible enough or rich enough to buy a Retina MBP is probably also sensible or rich enough to buy a backup drive. So the data is not "soldered to the motherboard."

2. The fact that the SSD of the Retina MBP is on a daughtercard makes it likely that a replacement option will in fact become available at some point.

But of course if you're concerned about this, either order the largest drive you can or go with the non-Retina MBPs, it's not like they are slouches are anything and they are much more upgradeable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
My non retina MBA is gorgeous. Can't imagine every needed or wanting better. But that's just me.
The SSD's larger than currently available on MBA are EXPENSIVE. So, if you have enough data that you need to access regularly that won't fit on the max SSD available after the programs are installed you obviously have a problem. I don't even come close so I am very happy with MBA. Very happy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.